January 7

zzslope

4 minutes ago, antman12 said:

My hopes aren't high going forward but im willing to give the benefit of the doubt for this past weekend. EVERYWHERE was a sh*t show this past weekend. Elk, Bear, Blue, Camel and JF

I’m thinking about the next real powder day. Hopefully weekday. Also the mindset of all the people who saw what happened and were stuck in line.Will they show up again? Volume wise I think that Blue will be able to deal with the crowd at the lift but that means more people on the hill. Once they get more terrain opened up it will be just the usual bottom bottle neck. Looks like Tuesday storm? 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, antman12 said:

My hopes aren't high going forward but im willing to give the benefit of the doubt for this past weekend. EVERYWHERE was a sh*t show this past weekend. Elk, Bear, Blue, Camel and JF

I have to admit that when they do get trashed on socials, questionnaires, here?, they do seem to listen. 
As the mention of trash got them to get their act together pretty quickly, at least for a moment.

Someone did finally get a clue to get the OG 6 fired up on Sunday, albeit way late, but they eventually did.

Will they learn for next time?  Who knows?  Only time will tell.

I think by NOT speaking out, they just go about their business in their offices, fat, dumb and happy with the money they're raking in.
When they do get railed, well, it's far easier to tarnish a good reputation than it is to create one.
Thus it's definitely in their best interests to do what they can to rectify the issues that people point out rather than ignore them and definitely drive away customers.
After all, they're not mind readers and probably don't really get out to see what's actually going on out on the hill.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, antman12 said:

No doubt.  I dont think there was one resort that wasnt basically over crowded.  But Blue pretty much took the cake for as far as i am concerned, with their lift ops, and that ridiculous move to close free fall.  I totally get that it was crowded.  overcrowded would be an understatement.  

They certainly found their weakness, and its their lift ops, and ultimately, management.  The OG 6 should have been plan B, ready to go at any time for a while now, and they showed it was barely on their radar.  I dont know what ancient indian burial ground the lifts at Blue are built on, but we all know they are cursed.  they have lift issues all the time, and i get that shit breaks, but they were not prepared, and it happened at the worst time, although the quad was probably preventable if they had someone there before like 7:30 am to turn it on.  

@benm aint making shit up.......they were more concerned about the paid parking than the lift situation.  

Its like showing up to Dunkin Donuts on Valentines day for the heart shaped donuts, only to find out they didnt make them.  "you had one job to do."

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

No doubt.  I dont think there was one resort that wasnt basically over crowded.  But Blue pretty much took the cake for as far as i am concerned, with their lift ops, and that ridiculous move to close free fall.  I totally get that it was crowded.  overcrowded would be an understatement.  

They certainly found their weakness, and its their lift ops, and ultimately, management.  The OG 6 should have been plan B, ready to go at any time for a while now, and they showed it was barely on their radar.  I dont know what ancient indian burial ground the lifts at Blue are built on, but we all know they are cursed.  they have lift issues all the time, and i get that shit breaks, but they were not prepared, and it happened at the worst time, although the quad was probably preventable if they had someone there before like 7:30 am to turn it on.  

@benm aint making shit up.......they were more concerned about the paid parking than the lift situation.  

Its like showing up to Dunkin Donuts on Valentines day for the heart shaped donuts, only to find out they didnt make them.  "you had one job to do."

They really should have found a way to keep at least one of the fixed-grip doubles.
They could have used the other for spare parts.

The detachables are notorious for having issues with snow/ice.  The huge storm a number of years ago we all went to the valley and both the OG 6 and quad were down because of snow/ice.   We ended up driving up to the summit and lapping the doubles until they got the detachables running.

It's just like they don't think about winter operations at all and think everything's gonna work just fine, when it's really gonna take time to get them running on a snow day.

For them to allow BMR to take over CS on a snow day is just plain stupid.
They know people are going to be clamoring for that run and now you're removing already limited terrain, duh!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

everywhere was gonna be a shitshow. thats what anyone would expect when there's snow forecasted.

the issue i have is that, seeing there would be this shitshow, having one of three lifts (the quad was advertised as 'open' in both the preliminary conditions report and the actual conditions report) it mind boggling. it doesn't matter if there's ice or shit or whatever. get a crew there early and make sure its operational. i'd have been way more content waiting in a 20 min line as opposed to a 60 min line. 

now throw in chairs being sent up with singles.

then not having the VIP line - tbh - whether or not it'd have actually helped things i have no idea. my guess is that it wouldn't have been worthwhile unless someone was grouping chairs. you'd be fighting 7 other gates.

one thing i'm not hearing much about is the parking, which is surprising

anyway

crowds - expected 
piss poor management when one knows that big crowds are coming - sadly, at blue... expected.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

It's just like they don't think about winter operations at all and think everything's gonna work just fine, when it's really gonna take time to get them running on a snow day.

Its like Groundhog day everyday at Blue.  They start the lift 45 mins before opening, and just cross their fingers.  

Hopefully they will learn from this.  Run them all night if they have to.  Pay someone handsomely to stay there at night.  what ever up charge that is in electric, or wage,  i am sure is way better than the tongue lashing they are getting now.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Hopefully they will learn from this

here's the problem. they learn about it in the short term. the next day jd was on the radio asking about all kinds of shit (like getting challenge prepped in case of crowds, asking time and time again about the VIP lines, etc).

but it takes months, sometimes YEARS for snow like that to come around again. by then, anything they'd learned has been forgotten

Edited by Benm
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Benm said:

here's the problem. they learn about it in the short term. the next day JD was on the radio asking about all kinds of shit (like getting challenge prepped in case of crowds, asking time and time again about the VIP lines, etc).

but it takes months, sometimes YEARS for snow like that to come around again. by then, anything they'd learned has been forgotten

Yeah, it's not like they can't write anything down in a run book or something.
Snow Day Preparations:
1. Get lift crew in early
2. Get maintenance crew in early/stay late
3. Fire up ALL lifts early
4. Review lift gating procedures

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yeah, it's not like they can't write anything down in a run book or something.
Snow Day Preparations:
1. Get lift crew in early
2. Get maintenance crew in early/stay late
3. Fire up ALL lifts early
4. Review lift gating procedures

I think their book looks like this

1. Make sure BMR is catered to
2. Is the paid parking ok?
3. Hows the magic carpet on frontier alley, is it ready yet?
4. Check on the lifts at the bottom, they're probably fine tho.
5. Profit

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Benm said:

I think their book looks like this

1. Make sure BMR is catered to
2. Is the paid parking ok?
3. Hows the magic carpet on frontier alley, is it ready yet?
4. Check on the lifts at the bottom, they're probably fine tho.
5. Profit

well said.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tnt temp said:

I really think a of this had to have been Ikon driven.

It's not going to get any better...

crowds, sure i think it had a decent impact.

every possible reason doesn't explain the stopped lifts tho

2 hours ago, tnt temp said:

I really think a of this had to have been Ikon driven.

It's not going to get any better...

We just need 7 snow storms so they’ll all use their Ikon passes and then it can go back to normal. Easy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1