the pics from today thread

Justin

Anybody know what this is?  Having such a hard time splitting this wood because these branch things are growing inside the trees 

IMG_8434.thumb.jpeg.3ae4453a0f5397f77febf95a8a7b90fe.jpeg

yesterday husband ran he chainsaw (I am still too chicken) and I did most of the loading/unloading of rounds onto the trailer. Did 3 trailers full

IMG_8432.thumb.jpeg.1193b56e00ece485fb65bc69755e4036.jpeg

I was trying to split some with the axe this morning at first. Was barely making a dent, then husband tried and he was having trouble too. I felt vindicated. Maybe it’s too fresh?  Even our log splitter is having a hard time. New to all this so if anyone has advice I will take it. image.thumb.jpg.3349903ad3123db7c03f6e2b67b7947a.jpg

10 minutes ago, Barb said:

Edit; just realized this is NOt the new wood. He only cut wood that was old from last year. So why is it still so dense and hard to split?

Google?  You’re the only person I know who splits wood…probably @moe ghoul does in Vermont.  When I was a kid my parents got those logs that come in a bag..

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

all this wood talk reminds me of a classic movie

image.gif.b2839f25cc99de4de1db8f545e9ae534.gif

@PSUFly knows this scene 

TP4 senior year of high school was me  and Eric whitehead doing the Budweiser frog thing and talking about beavis and butthead…I think that’s when the movie was 96 or 97 and it was rad even had that love rollercoaster song.  Fire is cool 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barb said:

I mean I think they are knots. But they just don’t effing break 

"Knots in wood are formed when branches are broken off or cut, and the exposed wood is left behind. As the tree continues to grow, the trunk expands and overtakes the branches, and knots form around the base of the branches. Knots can also be formed by injuries to the tree or by fungal infections."

They're what give knotty pine floors, furniture, etc. that distinctive look.

I use a wedge and sledgehammer to split large logs instead of an axe.
Just place the wedge in an existing crack that should be there in seasoned wood and hammer away.
Once the big logs are split, I use this method with the axe for more exercise.
I keep an old Y log around and place the log to be split in the V of the Y to hold it and keep it from rolling one way or the other.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 6:14 AM, mbike-ski said:

Thanks for this tip!  We got an 8lb maul and husband is killing it. We had a good system going this morning, he would split large rounds in half  w maul, then I would split with axe. After an hour I said I would be happy to just do the stacking. The lumberjack workouts are hard. 😂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Barb said:

Thanks for this tip!  We got an 8lb maul and husband is killing it. We had a good system going this morning, he would split large rounds in half  w maul, then I would split with axe. After an hour I said I would be happy to just do the stacking. The lumberjack workouts are hard. 😂

Is it starting to get cool overnight?  Two days ago I didn’t even turn on the AC

On 9/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, Barb said:

I like to use this once the rounds are split in half. 
IMG_6326.thumb.png.46bdd0abdc203c4ee1f8512715a74762.png

• Like 1