Already know where and when you're going west this season?

phillycore

So after the advice of you guys and poking around a bit I'm leaning towards Snowbird. It seems like a pretty solid mountain and a nice bonus is that it's really close to SLC meaning I could realistically stay in town and just drive to the mountain in the morning which I'm assuming would be more fun than staying there? I don't know much about the area but I'm guessing I'll find more apres ski fun in town and cheaper lodging too.

Cheaper lodging yes, après might be disappointing. Might be able to catch a performance of the Mormon tabernacle choir!

• Like 1

there is no après ski at snowbird lol

You have no idea kind sir, you just dont know the spots. 

If you end up going hit me up Ill tell you where to go for apres since it seem like everyone is saying it does not exist in Utah. I beg to differ. 

Edited by GSSucks
  • Like 3

You have no idea kind sir, you just dont know the spots. 

If you end up going hit me up Ill tell you where to go for apres since it seem like everyone is saying it does not exist in Utah. I beg to differ. 

One of the craziest nights of my life was at the bar up top of the Red Lion, SLC women are insane, they don't get off the leash much but when they do shit is crazy plus I hear they like butt stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd stay downtown, rent a SUV and drive to as many places as possible. Seriously don't got to the same place twice unless you have a real good reason. Every place in UT including Sundance has a time and a place, if you learn this info next time you go back your trip will be super sweet because you know the info.

One year it was going off in the Uintas but no so much in BCC/LCC so Pow Mow/Basin,  another year it was super boney so the best conditions were outside the gates so we went to Brighton to run Clayton and Hidden Canyon, one very strange year storms were coming more out of the south and killing Sundance/Timp.

My point is don't lock yourself into anything, downtown is cheap take the $ you saved and rent a car. Go everywhere so next time you know exactly were the spot to be is. They are all amazing but what seperates a good day from a perfect day is a little bit of knowledge.

EDIT: The worst of the bunch for EC dudes trying to ski pow is Alta, place gets tracked wicked wicked fast and everything good requires traversing which EC peeps generally suck at because they don't do it. Alta is a place that requires you to put in a good bunch of days really exploring boundary to boundary and maybe a little wolvy lol before you can ski it right.

Don't get me wrong gloryhole with some fresh is mind blowing but first time if you blow your big snow day for Alta you'll probably end up disappointed because that 70 year old granola hippy dude actually fucking rips and he's way way faster than you on traverses. So while your still fucking around on the high t trying to act cool he's already moved on to Catherine's or wildcat or ditched for a trip up superior.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1

So after the advice of you guys and poking around a bit I'm leaning towards Snowbird. It seems like a pretty solid mountain and a nice bonus is that it's really close to SLC meaning I could realistically stay in town and just drive to the mountain in the morning which I'm assuming would be more fun than staying there? I don't know much about the area but I'm guessing I'll find more apres ski fun in town and cheaper lodging too. 

jfdan and phillycore know how i feel about the bird. you can't go wrong. place is sick. there is no "town" however. cottonwood heights is cool but not really a ski town. there's a golden corral and a dave's bbq there which is always good.  

edit...saw others already commented on the lack of town..sorry for being repetitive. do check out the golden corral however. 

Edited by RidgeRacer

Book your car early and often.  By that i mean, keep checking car rental prices every so often.  i am amazed at how car rental prices change for no apparent reason.  Check like a day or two before going, sometimes you get the best deal then.  Dont give your credit card number up front, and you can cancel, rebook, until your tired of doing so.  Best i have done in Utah for an SUV was $250 for 3 ski days.  

My friend just booked a trip to Jackson hole leaving 12/26 and he's paying $1100 for airfare and no guarentee of much terrain open that early in the season. With the possibility of a dismal XMAS here I was looking at flights to Denver and flights on southwest round trip from Newark start at $700 and other airlines start at around $600 but baggage fees then apply. The big kicker is rental cars are like 2-3 times the price that week for shits and giggles I out in a 5 day mid size SUV rental at Alamo and its $1100 and I paid like $350 for a week for the same thing in April. Maybe Stowe before and over New Years.

I'll just go ahead and leave these direct quotes from PASR's own Phillycore on his fondness for Snowbird right here...(source  the "11-12 PASR Utah Invasion thread"). Enjoy.

"Snowbird - Gnarly Terrain like Jackson Hole and Squaw Valley, and we hit it on a pow day. I really don't need to say anything else..... It's a sick place and I will be back!! Tied in my #2 spot with Jackson Hole as my favorite mountains I've skied at."

"Snowbird we hit on the powder day, I expected it to be great, but never expected to like it anywhere near as much as JH or Squaw...as I had put those two in a class by themselves it delivered big time."

Fantastic observations Mr. Core. I certainly agree! (note the bold font :) ). 

Aside from my weekend trips up into Summit and Eagle counties, I have a long weekend planned for Crested Butte and Monarch ... hoping to hit the cat skiing at Monarch.  Then a Easter trip to Utah (Park City/Canyons ... thanks Epic Pass).

• Like 1