Zee Lights

skifreak

Just now, JFskiDan said:

As much as we complain about the price of electric, its pretty affordable in this area.  if you look around like out west, it might be almost double what we pay.  When i bought my house in the Poconos, i was amazed at how cheap PPL was.  its caught up to Peco a little these days, but still cheaper.  

Delmarva Power is considerably higher in a tiny, completely flat state that almost always has better weather. We are lucky in that we have a shit ton of installed capacity, we also produce alot PA is second to Illinois if I'm not mistaken. 

Some places out west are insane and TX is the absolute dumbest, worst system ever invented. It's like 3 to 4 cents more expensive than PA and it doesn't even work. 

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I have people call my work weekly trying to get us to switch our electric supplier.  They always start out by saying,”grab your electric bill” and I say if you’re calling from PPL you should have it.  The last one the decrease was like a half cent per kilowatt hour.  I said that’s gonna save us a couple dollars a month not worth it.   

My bills are between like $70 and $120 so no need for solar panels. 

We had someone show up at work before Christmas saying we needed to switch off of PECO, and i never really got who they were with.  the first time they showed up they talked to the receptionist, who is just the nicest person in the world, but if someone walks in here and tells her "they can save us all sorts of money" she will run over a bus load of nuns to help them get to the right person so that we can save $2.  Shes not the only one, though, some other people here fall for the "im gonna save you so much money" thing i usually am the one wasting my time with them only to find out we wont save anything going with what ever snake oil they are selling.  Tire salesman are the worst.  i have guys in here trying to sell me tires all the time.  Problem is, we dont look at just prices, its a package thing.....service/scrap/availability/ etc.  

Oh, and most homeowners are stupid, so they fall into the category where they dont understand there are 2 pieces to the price of their electric puzzle, but when they are being sold a new supplier, they are only told the one price, so it makes them feel like its almost half of what they are paying now.  Then they jump on FB and show the world exactly how stupid they are by saying they saved $.07 kwh by switching to Bobs Electric Wind Power as a supplier.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dirtwolf said:

Here is a crazy idea... Maybe they could turn the lights off after close to save a few pennies.

i have always wondered why when they have the lights on, all of them are on, yet they are blowing on main street.  Im not like a super cheap guy, but when i get home i dont turn on every light i have, just cause.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I have people call my work weekly trying to get us to switch our electric supplier.  They always start out by saying,”grab your electric bill” and I say if you’re calling from PPL you should have it.  The last one the decrease was like a half cent per kilowatt hour.  I said that’s gonna save us a couple dollars a month not worth it.   

My bills are between like $70 and $120 so no need for solar panels. 

I get them at work a lot too. "Can I speak to the person that handles your PP&L Bill?" is a common one. Always want you to read the bill to them so they can under cut it. New employees fall for it to hand it up the ladder but we pretty much tell them we get this call every other day and your not going to be the one to make us switch. I always tell them to remove our number from their list too but doesn't stop them from selling your number to the next "provider".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtwolf said:

Here is a crazy idea... Maybe they could turn the lights off after close to save a few pennies.

Insurance ? They turn them off right at 7am no matter what they are doing which says to me insurance said keep the lights on until daybreak and we'll take x off your policy. 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Insurance ? They turn them off right at 7am no matter what they are doing which says to me insurance said keep the lights on until daybreak and we'll take x off your policy. 

It has to be something silly like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

Yet I remember them grooming before with all the lights out and going just by the groomer's lights.
I don't remember if that was before KSL took over or not.

They may keep them on when there's new snow to be moved rather than like in the Spring when it's just flattening out the surface?

53 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yet I remember them grooming before with all the lights out and going just by the groomer's lights.
I don't remember if that was before KSL took over or not.

They may keep them on when there's new snow to be moved rather than like in the Spring when it's just flattening out the surface?

What about all those many, many ski areas that don't have lights? 

20 hours ago, enjoralas said:

I would hope they're pushing at their capacity to make snow this week. What a waste if 

Pretty sure keeping the lights on is a safety reason. My Camelback Patrol friend found a skier on a closing trail sweep. The guy was 40’ into the woods out cold. He didn’t remember how long or what happened. 
It took 2 hours to get him out. 

I can imagine waking up in the dark disoriented with a head injury. Also there’s a chance some unauthorized people could be earning turns . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Pretty sure keeping the lights on is a safety reason. My Camelback Patrol friend found a skier on a closing trail sweep. The guy was 40’ into the woods out cold. He didn’t remember how long or what happened. 
It took 2 hours to get him out. 

I can imagine waking up in the dark disoriented with a head injury. Also there’s a chance some unauthorized people could be earning turns . 

All good points..it’s not like Blue has a fence around it. Remember the old days when you got your ticket checked/scanned at the upper or lower lodge and then lifties didn’t really check tickets?  You could buy a morning pass and ski as late as you wanted as long as you didn’t go back into the lodge.  I was a badass so I’d ski till 2pm sometimes on a ticket that expires at 1230pm.  Sorry it’s gotta be past the statute of limitations.  

That’s back when then the liftees looked straight out of 70s rock bands plus 50-100 pounds.  Some of Ray Tuthills construction crew and Palmeraneons, not to be confused with the small dog.  It’s brick out there I have to get fully bundled up just to grab something from my car aye Carumba 

The one night I looked last week the lights were out everywhere but the Vista/Slopeside cams. I almost posted about Zee Lights being off and not being able to see what they are blowing on at night anymore, but then I figured someone would just comment "They always start turning them off after the first few weeks of the season" because I definitely know I've seen them off in the past. 

So who knows . . .

• Like 2

The lights are on timers. Depending on the mountain ops situation they'll leave lights on until 7:00, turn particular trails on, or turn off lights around midnight - typically that's late enough for snowmaking to be fully fired up. They leave lights on while there's limited skiable terrain because often those trails get checked on foot, and often trails will be left on even if only a couple snowguns are active over that way - there's a fan gun at the top of Challenge, for example, so to light up that one gun Challenge lights have to be on.

I'm sure there are efficiencies they could find, but 9,750 HP of air compressor makes them look like a rounding error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2024 at 8:02 AM, momskeeztoo said:

You mean Sidewinder? Switchback was open last year. Best trail on the mountain. 

Yes - meant Sidewinder, and I am optimistic now with the natural base and forseeable snowmaking temps overnight they will get it.  Makes me happy when the mountain is at 100% and a plus 10 when little dip ins are available all over the place.  Might get there tomorrow to enjoy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billskis said:

Yes - meant Sidewinder, and I am optimistic now with the natural base and forseeable snowmaking temps overnight they will get it.  Makes me happy when the mountain is at 100% and a plus 10 when little dip ins are available all over the place.  Might get there tomorrow to enjoy.

Tomorrow is gonna be really nice. Gotta enjoy winter when it’s here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, billskis said:

Today was great. Definitely worth the 2 1/2 hours it took me to get there 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1