Zee Lights

skifreak

Yep - having a season pass there was great since I could just park at the top of the North Face and get right on the snow instead of dealing with walking to the crowded lodge and getting my ticket.
The only times I went into the lodge was to use the bathrooms.  The pub there (Slocum Hollow) was rarely very crowded.  

Slocum hollow is a cool name.

21 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Slocum hollow is a cool name.

The name Slocum is pretty cool in the NEPA region when you know the history. There is a state park called Frances Slocum up there that I've been going to since I was born. The story of the name is below: 

Frances Slocum

The park is named for Frances Slocum, a young girl who was kidnapped by American Indians. Frances was one of ten children of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Slocum. This Quaker family lived on what is now North Street in Wilkes-Barre.

On November 2, 1778, a small group of Delaware Indians entered the Slocum home and carried away Frances, who was five years old. The first night after her abduction was spent in a crude shelter under a rock ledge along Abraham Creek, believed to be within the state park boundary. She tried to escape during the first night but was quickly recaptured. Frances was taken along as the Delaware Indians moved westward and spent the rest of her life with them.

Her brothers never gave up the search. Fifty-nine years after her abduction, they found her living on a reservation near Peru, Indiana. She had been married twice and had borne four children. Frances refused the pleas of her brothers to return to Pennsylvania. The brothers wrote to her and learned many of the details of her abduction and life with American Indians.

Frances Slocum died in Indiana in 1847, at the age of 74. Mississinewa Lake in Indiana contains the Frances Slocum State Recreational Area and Lost Sister Trail. Along the Mississinewa River in Indiana, there is a monument that marks the final resting-place of Frances Slocum, also called Maconaquah, the “Young Bear.”

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

WTF is wrong with me, I can't read the word "Slocum" without first seeing "Scrotum".  I think I have some kind of reading disability or something.  

I'm the same way. When drive to Scranton as you go by Cameltoe there is a town called "Scotrun" and I see scrotum every time. 

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

WTF is wrong with me, I can't read the word "Slocum" without first seeing "Scrotum".  I think I have some kind of reading disability or something.  

Glad to hear you're as immature as me haha.  

One of our customers at work is Cox Communications.  A while back, we got a big payment from them and I was discussing it with the treasury manager who said "I'm just gonna sit on Cox for a while"...I couldn't stop laughing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, PSUFly said:

Glad to hear you're as immature as me haha.  

One of our customers at work is Cox Communications.  A while back, we got a big payment from them and I was discussing it with the treasury manager who said "I'm just gonna sit on Cox for a while"...I couldn't stop laughing 

My wife and I were discussing caulking around a door frame in our family room where there was a gap, and with the walls being brown I suggested that she get some brown caulk and then I almost pissed myself laughing.  Sometimes you gotta rock out with your caulk out.  I think the upcoming beginning of ski season is making me silly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lessons and tubing begin 12/26.  I think that’s when they’ll open the lower lodge and six pack although I won’t count this weekend out.  Also there’s no race team at least until the current restrictions end.  Could be the best season ever!!

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think they are gonna open the valley on Friday...they just made about 4-5 times more tickets available starting Friday.  

They also posted a lil teaser clip from the bottom of the 6 on their IG this morning. 

still not getting my hopes up...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, antman12 said:

They also posted a lil teaser clip from the bottom of the 6 on their IG this morning. 

still not getting my hopes up...

I’m just happy to be skiing, I’m trying not to get that greedy..although a foot or two of snow plus more open terrain would be a nice Xmas gift.