Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked a few habanero tonight (couple red jalapeños tossed in too):             Completed a second batch of sauce from the Roma tomatoes last night:  

The garden is coming in nicely this year with everything started from seed. Lots of lettuce, arugula, romaine, and spinach. Cantaloupe are starting to get a bit bigger. Red potatoes and red/yellow bee

Garden to dinner.         Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

4 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Nice. Within the last few weeks I have seen fox, bear, bobcats, bald eagles, timber rattlers, and the usual dear. It probably seems like there are more animals out but I think it is just that more people are home and noticing them.

Add peacock to the list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

At one of my projects for work the neighbors have peacocks.....They make an awful racket...

People below us have Guinea Hens that often get loose and wander about the yard.
They too make an awful racket.
Usually have the odd chicken and flocks of turkey roaming through the yard. 
Unfortunately most of the turkey have fallen prey to fox and coyotes and don't see them much anymore.

hredirect2.thumb.jpg.c5e4f7773d068187d188620c2df4fcea.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
People below us have Guinea Hens that often get loose and wander about the yard.
They too make an awful racket.
Usually have the odd chicken and flocks of turkey roaming through the yard. 
Unfortunately most of the turkey have fallen prey to fox and coyotes and don't see them much anymore.
hredirect2.thumb.jpg.c5e4f7773d068187d188620c2df4fcea.jpg
Guineas are noisy, but they wipe out ticks...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

At one of my projects for work the neighbors have peacocks.....They make an awful racket...

We moved in a house some time ago, neighbors had peacocks. They make a blood curdling scream. I didn’t know what it was, scared the shit out of me. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The garden is coming in nicely this year with everything started from seed. Lots of lettuce, arugula, romaine, and spinach. Cantaloupe are starting to get a bit bigger. Red potatoes and red/yellow beets are doing great. Tomatoes and green peppers are doing well, and the three blueberry bushes are starting to turn nicely. We have so much lettuce that we have been having salads every day and it still hasn't put a dent in the amount of greens that we still have.

 

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've got one of those expandable hoses, make sure you keep an eye on it. I got extremely lucky on saturday. Was leaving for a relatives, forgot something in the house, then on my way back out of the house, remembered to shut off the water to the hose. ruptured about a half hr after i left. I'm not sure what 3GPM on a well system running for 6 hours would have resulted in... 

hose.gif

Edited by Benm
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Benm said:

If you've got one of those expandable hoses, make sure you keep an eye on it. I got extremely lucky on saturday. Was leaving for a relatives, forgot something in the house, then on my way back out of the house, remembered to shut off the water to the hose. ruptured about a half hr after i left. I'm not sure what 3GPM on a well system running for 6 hours would have resulted in... 

hose.gif

1,080 gallons.  Just cause u didnt know.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

1,080 gallons.  Just cause u didnt know.  

by result, i meant the effect it would have on the well pump, pressure tank etc. 

i also did that math to visualize it in terms of filling a pool (about a fifth for a normal above ground).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Benm said:

by result, i meant the effect it would have on the well pump, pressure tank etc. 

i also did that math to visualize it in terms of filling a pool (about a fifth for a normal above ground).

 

Oh, i thought maybe your new Blueberry didnt have a calculator.  

 

But even yet, the 1080 gallons is flawed.  That assumes its a totally open line, no restriction at the break or before the break, and if your well pump is still able to produce 3gpm.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JFskiDan said:

Oh, i thought maybe your new Blueberry didnt have a calculator.  

But even yet, the 1080 gallons is flawed.  That assumes its a totally open line, no restriction at the break or before the break, and if your well pump is still able to produce 3gpm.  

lmao at blueberry and yeah, true about the system itself. i don't know all of the exact specs aside from that outdoor spigot has way more output than anywhere else in the house. when i turned the water on it torrentially poured out of the side of the hose. i'm gonna strip the fabric from it and repurpose the rubber liner for drip irrigation in the garden. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shadows said:

3gpm? How do you take showers?

it's just the outdoor spigot that is crazy high output. everything else is normal (i'd like it to be faster tho). i'm not a plumber, so i don't really know why.

edit: i just did a not so scientific test using what i consider to be a narrower than normal gauge of regular garden hose. filled up a gallon in 10sec. using the other/pocket hose was appx 25s / gal.

Edited by Benm
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Benm said:

it's just the outdoor spigot that is crazy high output. everything else is normal (i'd like it to be faster tho). i'm not a plumber, so i don't really know why.

edit: i just did a not so scientific test using what i consider to be a narrower than normal gauge of regular garden hose. filled up a gallon in 10sec. using the other/pocket hose was appx 25s / gal.

If you have some type of water softener or other filter, its probably installed after the hose.  no real reason to filter water you will most likely be just putting back in the ground.  So you probably have the most pressure there.  a filter or softener will knock your pressure back some.  You could turn up the pressure at the regulator on the pressure tank.  

Edited by JFskiDan
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JFskiDan said:

If you have some type of water softener or other filter, its probably installed after the hose.  no real reason to filter water you will most likely be just putting back in the ground.  So you probably have the most pressure there.  You could turn up the pressure at the regulator on the pressure tank.  

#nofilter, water here is pretty good. nestle wanted to tap aquifers nearby and people stomped them out. went to basement and it's 1" pex running straight from where everything else comes from for the house. reservoir tank at 58psi, no clue if that's normal, oh well.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benm said:

#nofilter, water here is pretty good. nestle wanted to tap aquifers nearby and people stomped them out. went to basement and it's 1" pex running straight from where everything else comes from for the house. reservoir tank at 58psi, no clue if that's normal, oh well.  

58 lbs would be pretty normal.  You still could bump it up if the pressure was really bringing you down that much.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

58 lbs would be pretty normal.  You still could bump it up if the pressure was really bringing you down that much.  

if it aint broke...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

3 of the 6 yellow squash we pulled from the garden tonight. Beets and potatoes should be coming out soon too. 
 

4818A66B-3BC1-46E5-923F-5DA96492BE0C.jpeg

Considering doing potatoes next year, anything special you suggest doing for them? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Considering doing potatoes next year, anything special you suggest doing for them? 

Till or turn the soil 12-16” deep immediately before planting. That will give them loose soil to grow freely. Once the plant is 6-12” out of the ground, mound dirt around them so the potatoes stay covered from sunlight. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...