Blue 2/2/2020 (Groundhog Day)

Mixilplix

First run down Challenge started out ok on the headwall, but after that it was downright scary.  Rollers, ridges, ruts and anything else you could think of were the adjectives of the day and it was the way in pretty much every slope.

6 was only running in low gear and quad was packed with racers and the rest of the mountain was full of Jerrys, two of which almost took out @tarponhead at the top of Switchback.

Bumps were frozen and big.  BM on their FB page said they would be reset, but they lied.  However they do have a groomer in the ranks that’s capable of setting good bumps, since they did so on Nightmare, which was pretty silly since they had the trail closed for skiercross race on Dreamweaver, go figure!

This has just been a really crappy winter. Warm, then cold a couple days. I really think Blue is doing a pretty good job considering the variation in temperatures. Everything is open, not many places around here can claim that. Think of it this way, if you can ski ruts, bumps, cookies, sugar, you’re improving your skiing. As far as the 6 pack being a mess, it’s not like they can run to Pep Boys and get the part. Everyone needs to stop whining. Ugh. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looking to go to Blue Mountain this Saturday, Feb. 8, but the forecast for this week leading up to it looks very warm and rainy. Also considering Elk Mountain since it's farther north and the temps will be a little lower. I'm a new PA resident and have not been to the Poconos. Any advice for what kind of conditions I might expect at these mountains this weekend? 

21 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

No surprises... the grooming was pretty bad...First run down Sidewinder was just a frozen mess...I think just about everything was bad....Main Street had lots of crumbs on the upper half..lower was a little softer with random push piles....I was on skis (and I suck at skiing) so maybe I'm being a little too critical...Some light snow showers came through when we were enjoying Enjoralas' meats in the lot...Enjoralas,Enjoralas' dad,J Law,Salty,PSUFly,Tarponhead,Indiggio,Benm,TP4,and other who I have seen but never met...One who gave me a Postal bin to put my boots in to keep the car clean...It's fuckin awesome..If you are reading this a big thanks!

20200202_090237 (1).jpg

20200202_092132.jpg

20200202_092137.jpg

20200202_092939.jpg

Postal bin dude is Falco, seriously the best idea in years on the boots. Keeps all the stones out of the back.

I like the dueling banjos style trs but I think this is a more accurate representation.

I skied today with Benm and it was  better but still some very very poor grooming. It was 50 though so just nice to be skiing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank908 said:

Looking to go to Blue Mountain this Saturday, Feb. 8, but the forecast for this week leading up to it looks very warm and rainy. Also considering Elk Mountain since it's farther north and the temps will be a little lower. I'm a new PA resident and have not been to the Poconos. Any advice for what kind of conditions I might expect at these mountains this weekend? 

Frozen and loose granular.  Looks like rain leading to cooler temperatures. 

17 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

This has just been a really crappy winter. Warm, then cold a couple days. I really think Blue is doing a pretty good job considering the variation in temperatures. Everything is open, not many places around here can claim that. Think of it this way, if you can ski ruts, bumps, cookies, sugar, you’re improving your skiing. 

I agree with skiing various terrain makes you a better skier/rider..but I wonder how other mountains grooming has been...