Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

LCC is 100% closed, Alta & Bird are closed with no reopening date or time posted from what I have heard, maximum security interlodge is in effect with an enacted hourly head count. Alta is reporting 87" since Thursday morning. RT 210 is the most avalanche prone road in the US that remains open year round. A few things have happened, the last few summers LCC had some big mud slides, this takes out more trees/rocks/vegetation (snow anchors) than an avalanche will and clears the way for avalanches. From what I have heard, a UDOT plow truck and cat were burred when Lisa's ripped, LIsa's has not avalanched to the road in 60+ years, Lisa's also had a big mud slide over the summer, see where this is going? Superior also ripped yesterday morning and went almost to the bypass road, that was before the 19" that was reported yesterday and last night. I was looking at the road cameras this morning and a no snow removal was done above Lisas since yesterday, pretty much between Lisas and Bird entry 1 (~5 miles) is a big unknown as no one has traveled it. The snowpack was super touchy before this storm and this is not going to help. Alta patrol is running routs, if they can get the mountain skiable before the road opens it will be a country club day (or few days) for the folks that are interlodged. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Interlodged. I saw something i might not fully understand, but avalanches are at like the highest level right now. Alta doesnt appear to have any lifts spinning either. 

Saw this this morning too. Crazy.

I had to research what Interlodge meant .. for anyone else, it's when "outside travel is restricted and everyone is ordered to stay indoors because of the avalanche danger." 

Highway 210 has a "Highway Avalanche Hazard Index of 766, the highest in North America."

https://www.snowbird.com/interlodge/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, saltyant said:

But I will be in 10 days. I wasnt aware there was so much snow there. WJW. Should I go somewhere else instead? Is it safe to ski at resorts (not trollin')?

It'll be fine in 10 days. No worries. Go for it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, skiincy said:

Saw this this morning too. Crazy.

I had to research what Interlodge meant .. for anyone else, it's when "outside travel is restricted and everyone is ordered to stay indoors because of the avalanche danger." 

Highway 210 has a "Highway Avalanche Hazard Index of 766, the highest in North America."

https://www.snowbird.com/interlodge/

Yeah, it's no joke.  Been at the Peruvian when interlodge invoked.
They literally chain the doors closed so there's NO escape.

@saltyant You said you're headed to Park City/Canyons, you won't have any problems.
Brighton and Solitude aren't on Little Cottonwood Canyon road, so they should be fine too.

I don't think you where looking to hit Alta/Snowbird this trip anyway, correct?

You're gonna have epic conditions and a hellova trip!

Edited by indiggio
  • Thanks 1

Not that i know tons on the subject, but i have never heard of maximum security interlodge. I also didnt know they did head counts. 
i think it was last year one of the accountant ladies at work stayed at snowbird, tons of snow closed the road, delayed open for avy, but when they got open the road was still closed. Im not sure she really knows exactly how lucky she was. 

23 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Not that i know tons on the subject, but i have never heard of maximum security interlodge. I also didnt know they did head counts. 
i think it was last year one of the accountant ladies at work stayed at snowbird, tons of snow closed the road, delayed open for avy, but when they got open the road was still closed. Im not sure she really knows exactly how lucky she was. 

Thats known as an LCC Country Club day, Interlodge is lifted before the road opens. Alta/Bird open with only the few hundred people that were stuck in Interlodge. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

Thats known as an LCC Country Club day, Interlodge is lifted before the road opens. Alta/Bird open with only the few hundred people that were stuck in Interlodge. 

Yeah, it's great if you're staying on the mountain!
Got a bunch of great early runs in until they got the road open and the hoards appeared.