Hunter 12/24 ... Grate!

saltyant

I wonder if smaller mountains will start going independent again. I know Eldora is a shit show this season already. They have such limited parking that on weekends the Boulder County Sheriff puts up a road block at the high school. They say if you don’t get there by 7:45, don’t come until after 1 pm. Today the update was that they opened up the road at 2 pm and we’re letting 10-20 cars at a time go, then waiting for more cars to leave the lot. 

it would be cool if places like Eldora, Monarch, Loveland and Abasin, Sunlight and Ski Cooper had a combined pass. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barb said:

I wonder if smaller mountains will start going independent again. I know Eldora is a shit show this season already. They have such limited parking that on weekends the Boulder County Sheriff puts up a road block at the high school. They say if you don’t get there by 7:45, don’t come until after 1 pm. Today the update was that they opened up the road at 2 pm and we’re letting 10-20 cars at a time go, then waiting for more cars to leave the lot. 

it would be cool if places like Eldora, Monarch, Loveland and Abasin, Sunlight and Ski Cooper had a combined pass. 

I was considering an Epic pass this year but after seeing how these places look this season I am kind of glad that I didn't get one. I have no trips planned out west so at least I have the flexibility of going to a less crazy place when I do plan something. I did get the Indy Pass which is mostly smaller places. I'm hoping to use it firs the first time next week now that it has been cold and places are getting a lot more open here on the east coast. It makes me not want Blue to be on a pass because it would end up looking like some of these places. It would be great to have the option to check out other places on the same pass, but crowds like this would just frustrate me. I'm just rambling at this point, but anyway, hopefully you can get some more touring days to avoid some of that madness.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barb said:

Sheesh that’s crazy at Blue, there’s only a couple dozen cars by 745am on the weekend and they open at 8am. 

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

I was considering an Epic pass this year but after seeing how these places look this season I am kind of glad that I didn't get one. I have no trips planned out west so at least I have the flexibility of going to a less crazy place when I do plan something. I did get the Indy Pass which is mostly smaller places. I'm hoping to use it firs the first time next week now that it has been cold and places are getting a lot more open here on the east coast. It makes me not want Blue to be on a pass because it would end up looking like some of these places. It would be great to have the option to check out other places on the same pass, but crowds like this would just frustrate me. I'm just rambling at this point, but anyway, hopefully you can get some more touring days to avoid some of that madness.

How much was the Indy pass?  Isn’t PowMow on that pass?

I'm going to Stowe and Breckenridge midweek and I expect to jump on the lifts immediately all day long or maybe wait up to 30 seconds at most. Unless theres a Perder day, then it will be busy just the first 15 minutes 

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

I'm going to Stowe and Breckenridge midweek and I expect to jump on the lifts immediately all day long or maybe wait up to 30 seconds at most. Unless theres a Perder day, then it will be busy just the first 15 minutes 

I thought you’re going to breck during spring break?  When are you going to Stowe?

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I thought you’re going to breck during spring break?  When are you going to Stowe

Stowe = first week of Feb. 

Breck = first week of Mar.

Idk when the Texans go on their spring break but hopefully they do when I'm at Breckenridge so I can meet a hot Texan woman like Peggy Hill

• Boner City 1

Just now, saltyant said:

Idk when the Texans go on their spring break but hopefully they do when I'm at Breckenridge so I can meet a hot Texan woman like Peggy Hill

Have fun and post reports.  If you meet a lady from Texas tell them,”save a horse and ride a cowboy” maybe you can borrow a cowboy hat from your sister heheheh 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

You can def meet a woman from Texas who can peg you on the hill 

• Boner City 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

They key difference between ikon and epiq is how they are run and the setup. Ikon is alot of Kls alterra which are running essentially the same old skiing model which is real estate.  In that case if you devalue the skiing you devalue the real estate. Additionally much like blue or Killy or 10000 other places when they aquire they do so more surgically and retain far more of the in place workers. They are private and do not have to report numbers so quietly throwing money at people totally works. 

Epiq is public and has to report numbers so they are alot more hesitant to put money on the table to have the essentials run and the union thing makes them piss their pants. They are straight up Corp style, extract every last crumb of value by consistent aggressive cost cutting and bare bones running. Rumor is VR is building a response Ski Patrol to go to PCMR or Vail if something happens there LOL LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

They key difference between ikon and epiq is how they are run and the setup. Ikon is alot of Kls alterra which are running essentially the same old skiing model which is real estate.  In that case if you devalue the skiing you devalue the real estate. Additionally much like blue or Killy or 10000 other places when they aquire they do so more surgically and retain far more of the in place workers. They are private and do not have to report numbers so quietly throwing money at people totally works. 

Epiq is public and has to report numbers so they are alot more hesitant to put money on the table to have the essentials run and the union thing makes them piss their pants. They are straight up Corp style, extract every last crumb of value by consistent aggressive cost cutting and bare bones running. Rumor is VR is building a response Ski Patrol to go to PCMR or Vail if something happens there LOL LOL

If VR doesn't stop the bleeding soon I will be curious to see how it effects next year's sales... I'm sure they have lost some already...VR will prolly blame it all on the pandemic ....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Oops. Sugarbush was last year, and I had a great time. Minimal crowds. Going to Sugarloaf this year. 

I only skied sugarloaf two days when my dad picked me up the end of first semester freshman year of college...and one day at Sunday river.  Sugarloaf is a huge mountain by east coast standards and has a lot of nice natural snow terrain. It’s just so freaking far away.  A lot of good upper intermediate pitched runs..you’ll have a blast...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1