Jump to content

PSA on Vail Resorts


Johnny Law
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't think this is any kind of revelation but any PASR peeps traveling to VR hills be aware they are hyper short on workers.

I was at PCMR today, 15" and shit was pure railing rainbow coke off the finestest of asses but first chair on town lift was 950. They had no ski patrol to do a lift line recon so they couldn't run town lift. None of the 4 lifts from the base were running before 920. The lifty told us they currently have 4 groomers and had all but the base lodge closed for anything other than peeing. 

They aren't currently grooming Canyons at all and had only the 5 or 6 majors groomed pc all week though I only saw it myself today.  

Honestly if your a certain type of skiier it's awesome, pow turns everywhere until late in the day and no frills so those people seemed to stay at home.  

However they were close to not having enough personel to operate and outside of Vail itself I highly doubt this is unique to PCMR. It has been this way all season so far since they got snow and could actually ski. Basically make sure to have snacks in your pockets and be prepared to be chill, shit is fucking wild right now. 

20211231_090931.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw on Teton gravity forums that park city patrol is in the process of striking and they are asking everybody to boycott vail resorts. 

 

I know a crazy 50 something bar legend who’s working the front desk at a swanky Deer Valley hotel this winter   He’s making almost $20 an hour which is the most he’s ever made   He worked at the lodge at the north rim of the Grand Canyon this last summer   He lives in employee housing for $17 a night with two 20something roommates  

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/345140-Fuck-Vail!-Here-s-how

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I saw on Teton gravity forums that park city patrol is in the process of striking and they are asking everybody to boycott vail resorts. 

 

I know a crazy 50 something bar legend who’s working the front desk at a swanky Deer Valley hotel this winter   He’s making almost $20 an hour which is the most he’s ever made   He worked at the lodge at the north rim of the Grand Canyon this last summer   He lives in employee housing for $17 a night with two 20something roommates  

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/345140-Fuck-Vail!-Here-s-how

Apparently they all went to Alta who has a union and better wages. I don't know if that's true but that is what the local peeps were saying. 

The ski patrol who eventually came down had no idea the lift wasn't running and 4 lifts never ran. I saw 0 ski patrol on the hill, no lift line people and at most 2 lifties top and bottom, most had one and the head maintenance guy was running Motherlode lift. 

The obvious answer is throw money at a core contingent of workers but VR is publicly traded and they don't want to show rising labor costs. Most of this week is people spending serious loot to take their family on vacation and if I was one of those people I would be fuck vail too. 

I don't care because every morning it's been skiing knee deep untracked and Alta got 2 inches in 30 mins like 2hrs ago. 

 

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

“I was at PCMR today, 15" and shit was pure railing rainbow coke off the finestest of asses but first chair on town lift was 950.”

emoji23.png emoji23.png emoji23.png

So good but that sucks at the same time

A delayed start on a pow day isn’t the worst thing.  The Perder just sits there waiting.  I’ve had days at Jackson hole where they didn’t open until like 1020-1030..sometimes avalanche control work takes longer than expected. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A delayed start on a pow day isn’t the worst thing.  The Perder just sits there waiting.  I’ve had days at Jackson hole where they didn’t open until like 1020-1030..sometimes avalanche control work takes longer than expected. 

Were you able to get a sandwich and beer in the lodge the same day?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

A delayed start on a pow day isn’t the worst thing.  The Perder just sits there waiting.  I’ve had days at Jackson hole where they didn’t open until like 1020-1030..sometimes avalanche control work takes longer than expected. 

It totally worked out but it's not a powder issue, if it was weather that's totally cool and par for the course. Even the CO stepped openings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh. I'm a member of an Epic Pass group on Facebook and every day there are numerous complaints about Vail. If Breckridge sucks by the time I go in March I'll have to demand a gift card and maybe some Captain Wafers.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Ugh. I'm a member of an Epic Pass group on Facebook and every day there are numerous complaints about Vail. If Breckridge sucks by the time I go in March I'll have to demand a gift card and maybe some Captain Wafers.

You’ll like Breck. It’s a favorite amoung Jerry’s from Texas

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You’ll like Breck. It’s a favorite amoung Jerry’s from Texas

March is when the Texans hit CO hard too I think.

Edit...first PASR post in 2022! Happy new year! 

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

 

The obvious answer is throw money at a core contingent of workers but VR is publicly traded and they don't want to show rising labor costs.

 

This is why the Vail buy up of all these resorts is such a bad thing for skiers.  

The amount of Vail apology letters for NE resorts i have seen online is Epic.  And its the same letter, just like a mad lib where it says "     (Enter Mountain Name Here)      "    

Funny thing is JFBB seems to be chugging along through all of this ok, but lets face it, locally, there arent many great jobs in the area.  It might be a different scene at JFBB once they get more terrain open and need to man more lifts.  we will see.  I still dont think they are opening tubing at JFBB.  Why?  who the fuck knows.  its a license to print money.  If they just opened BB for tubing only, they would still make bank.  

This kinda seems to be the norm at most of their resorts.....not enough employees, running too few lifts....etc.   https://www.change.org/p/vail-resorts-hold-vail-resorts-accountable  Its really ashame what Vail is doing.  

it will be interesting to see how Epic pass sales react to this next year.  One would think there would be a sharp decline next year.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

March is when the Texans hit CO hard too I think.

Edit...first PASR post in 2022! Happy new year! 

I always look up Dallas and Lubbock school district spring break dates before planning my trips.  Usually 2nd week in march.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


The instagram account epicliftlines posts daily updates from around vails properties as well as employee complaints, etc.

Apparently vail forgot to sign off on employees pay slips, so their checks are late, but they are being hounded to pay their employee housing rent. So the person who so demanding money, forgot to pay them money.

The sad thing is this isn’t even the worst lift line they have posted. Not even close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

This is why the Vail buy up of all these resorts is such a bad thing for skiers.  

Yep. You don't want them buying Blue or any other places you ski.

Funny thing is JFBB seems to be chugging along through all of this ok, but lets face it, locally, there arent many great jobs in the area.  It might be a different scene at JFBB once they get more terrain open and need to man more lifts.  

Where have you been? Did you see how many warehouses they are building in the Lehigh Valley? They are all offering over $20/hr. to start plus benefits. Not just warehouses but every business is looking for people and all paying over $20/hr. I don't know what they are paying at JF but at other NE areas they are below the local going rate. If they wanted to get people they would spend a little of the $1.5 billion they have on hand. If people in the Poconos don't want to drive a half hour for more money, you can't fix stupid.

Vail is what happens when you let the bean counters who only look at current numbers run things instead of someone who looks at the big picture.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, trackbiker said:

Where have you been? Did you see how many warehouses they are building in the Lehigh Valley? They are all offering over $20/hr. to start plus benefits. Not just warehouses but every business is looking for people and all paying over $20/hr. I don't know what they are paying at JF but at other NE areas they are below the local going rate. If they wanted to get people they would spend a little of the $1.5 billion they have on hand. If people in the Poconos don't want to drive a half hour for more money, you can't fix stupid.

Vail is what happens when you let the bean counters who only look at current numbers run things instead of someone who looks at the big picture.

Where have i been?  Not looking for a fucking job, thats for sure. 
but you have no fucking idea about people in the poconos around jfbb. They do not want to travel to the lehigh valley for one of your high paying warehouse jobs, i know that for sure. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, trackbiker said:

If people in the Poconos don't want to drive a half hour for more money, you can't fix stupid.

i know the LV encompasses a pretty big area, but 99% of people in the poconos (at least what the visitors bureau considers it to be) would need a helicopter to get to the LV proper in a half hour. hell jfbb to just the atown exit is prob 45 min + toll.

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Benm said:

i know the LV encompasses a pretty big area, but 99% of people in the poconos (at least what the visitors bureau considers it to be) would need a helicopter to get to the LV proper in a half hour. hell jfbb to just the atown exit is prob 45 min + toll.

Yeah was thinking that when he said a half hour.  Nobody is commuting an hour each way for $20 an hour.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...