Blue on IKON Pass

NMSKI

18 hours ago, skiincy said:

Holy shit. This is wild.

@Schifdog just ran down the stairs to tell me.

------------------

Here's the TLDR

• If you switch from Blue to Ikon, you have limited visits to Blue Mountain, lose the free buddy pass, and access to the VIP line.

------------------

I'm currently working like 20-hours a week and have been thinking ... man, this would be so sweet to ski midweek and go off to Utah again... 

• So, I've contacted Ikon to get more details and they said to contact Blue.
  • I contacted Blue asking if my season pass is now valid at Ikon Resorts - it's not. 
  • I asked Blue if there's an option to upgrade - there's not.
  • But, the agent did offer to refund my season pass. And then you buy the Ikon.
  • But, Ikon will be limiting visits to Blue Mountain and has blackout dates.

Hope this helps others considering switching to Ikon.

--------------------

Me: as a current season pass holder, are you offering any options to upgrade to Ikon? I called Ikon and they told me that you would be offering a promotion to cancel my season pass and upgrade it to Ikon

Blue: We are happy to work with you to find the solution you need! If we refund your Blue Mountain Season Pass, you will lose all pass holder benefits including access to the VIP line at high-speed lifts, your free buddy pass, free snow tubing, and year-round 10% discount on food and retail. You will also be limited to 5 or 7 visits to Blue Mountain and subject to IKON blackout dates (depending on your Ikon Season Pass type). If you would like to continue with a refund on your Blue Mountain Season Pass, please let me know.

Me: is there a deadline that you're offering the pass refund option?

Blue: You can get a refund for your pass as long as you haven't used it yet. No specific date

If Blue will refund an unused season pass if you have an Ikon, I might just take them up on that offer.

I typically only get 15-20 days at blue .. plus about 15-20 at Ikon mts.  If I can get 14 days between Blue and Camelback, I'm pretty much covered.  I can also easily add in a few days at other local. mountains 

26 minutes ago, Benm said:

ok so i just checked ikon's site. i see blue on there but it looks like it's 7 days max, so not really a season pass to blue.

thus i do not care.

Correct.  its not unlimited, so for those of us that do more than 7 days, just crumple it up and put it in the circular file.  Even if you are thinking i will do the 7 days on Ikon, and then buy day passes for the balance of my days, i think after about 6 weekend day passes it would be going negative, unless Ikon offers discount tix after you use up your days.  i guess thats something to consider as well, but again, for the weekend regulars at Blue, like myself, its a mute1080 point.  

Maybe next year it goes unlimited.  but part of me thinks thats a horrible idea, as i do think that would add a lot of new skiers at Blue, and im not sure we need that.  I have always said im willing to pay more for less traffic.  

The Ikon is a no brainer for @pcklein31 , he even posted 3 times about how excited he is about it.  If you just want to ski 14 days in the Poconos, and arent brand loyal, its a good deal.  So that being said, i may take back my statement that i doubt we see an impact, to i think we will see some type of uptick in skier visits.  

27 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Correct.  its not unlimited, so for those of us that do more than 7 days, just crumple it up and put it in the circular file.  Even if you are thinking i will do the 7 days on Ikon, and then buy day passes for the balance of my days, i think after about 6 weekend day passes it would be going negative, unless Ikon offers discount tix after you use up your days.  i guess thats something to consider as well, but again, for the weekend regulars at Blue, like myself, its a mute1080 point.  

Yeah, I was trying to see a way where you could even combine this for early in the season with picking up the Blue pass when they put it on sale to ski the rest of the season and all the next. If that could work, it could be a nice play for someone like Pops and I that are on an every other year out west trip cadence. But 7 visits just isn't enough for someone that wants to ski every weekend day at Blue. Or even splitting between Blue and Camel. There's 18 weekend days between December and January, so gotta buy 4 right there. Historically you still gotta buy tickets for most of February, and then any midweek days I'd want to go. Doesn't take long to cost more than a Blue pass + a 4 day ticket to whatever resort we go to out west. 

Maybe if I started trading brisket for buddy passes I could make the math work, lol

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Maybe next year it goes unlimited.  but part of me thinks thats a horrible idea, as i do think that would add a lot of new skiers at Blue, and im not sure we need that.  I have always said im willing to pay more for less traffic.  

The Ikon is a no brainer for @pcklein31 , he even posted 3 times about how excited he is about it.  If you just want to ski 14 days in the Poconos, and arent brand loyal, its a good deal.  So that being said, i may take back my statement that i doubt we see an impact, to i think we will see some type of uptick in skier visits.  

Ha.. yeah.. i thought my WiFi on good old trusty United was failing me... but should never have doubted them!

43 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Yeah, I was trying to see a way where you could even combine this for early in the season with picking up the Blue pass when they put it on sale to ski the rest of the season and all the next. If that could work, it could be a nice play for someone like Pops and I that are on an every other year out west trip cadence. But 7 visits just isn't enough for someone that wants to ski every weekend day at Blue. Or even splitting between Blue and Camel. There's 18 weekend days between December and January, so gotta buy 4 right there. Historically you still gotta buy tickets for most of February, and then any midweek days I'd want to go. Doesn't take long to cost more than a Blue pass + a 4 day ticket to whatever resort we go to out west. 

Maybe if I started trading brisket for buddy passes I could make the math work, lol

Based on last years Easter weekend activities in Vermont, i was thinking about buying the Ikon in the spring to get Killy and Sugar, among some others for the 2nd annual Vermont tour.  but i think only some resorts allow spring access.  not sure.  not up to speed on Ikon.  But then obviously hit some ikon resorts out west the following year.  

so, with that, it would be nice if Blue were to offer a discounted unlimited pass to Ikon'ers.  i think.  i think that would end up better than letting Blue be unlimited on the ikon pass.  

27 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Based on last years Easter weekend activities in Vermont, i was thinking about buying the Ikon in the spring to get Killy and Sugar, among some others for the 2nd annual Vermont tour.  but i think only some resorts allow spring access.  not sure.  not up to speed on Ikon.  But then obviously hit some ikon resorts out west the following year.  

so, with that, it would be nice if Blue were to offer a discounted unlimited pass to Ikon'ers.  i think.  i think that would end up better than letting Blue be unlimited on the ikon pass.  

The first year I bought my IKON pass I did exactly as you are describing and I hit Sugarbush and Stratton on spring access.  Pretty sure Killington has spring access as well.  

I plan to celebrate the resurrection Jesus Christ again this year by skiing my ass off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

The first year I bought my IKON pass I did exactly as you are describing and I hit Sugarbush and Stratton on spring access.  Pretty sure Killington has spring access as well.  

I plan to celebrate the resurrection Jesus Christ again this year by skiing my ass off.

That was such a fun weekend, im glad to hear you have the same thoughts.  I might even need to start celebrating a day earlier too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think he assumes that Ikon pass includes unlimited skiing at Blue and camelback.  It does not. 

Your right, I assumed wrong.  I found out that Ikon cant use the VIP line at least.

Edited by DiMe

14 hours ago, saltyant said:

This is boner city news! Dude, I'm like soooo stoked to ski Blue and Camelback on Ikon Pass. We should hit up both on opening day and eat lots of Ikon flavored sugar cookies while consuming fresh hot cocoas and high five the Ikon Camel at both mountains, then board a cheap Frontier flight using our clipped coupons to breathe that fresh Rocky Mountain air and make get some secondhand smoke from John Denvers Gonja. This season is gonna be liiiiiit

welcome back @saltyant 

• Boner City 1

17 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I see no benefit for most of us, until there is an ikon + blue unlimited in one pass, and i havent put enough thought into it to really figure out if i would like that to happen. 

I dont think this area is littered with ikon passholders. Its unlikely a vermont ikoner is like “oh, fucking sweet dude, blue mt is on the pass. Lets skip sugarbush this weekend and go hang out in palmerton”

I would.

I find it odd that Blue and Camel aren't unlimited visits. I wonder (hope) that changes next year. 

Hell, even If I could do 7 days at both Blue and Camelback id probably do it. 14 days at Blue and CBK plus 2/3 trips up north/west its worth it. I dont need to ride Blue 20 times if I have other options.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I find it odd that Blue and Camel aren't unlimited visits. I wonder (hope) that changes next year. 

Hell, even If I could do 7 days at both Blue and Camelback id probably do it. 14 days at Blue and CBK plus 2/3 trips up north/west its worth it. I dont need to ride Blue 20 times if I have other options.

Only a few resorts offer unlimited visits for Ikon passholders.  I know sugarbush and copper mountain are on that list.  

54 minutes ago, antman12 said:

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Only a few resorts offer unlimited visits for Ikon passholders.  I know sugarbush and copper mountain are on that list.  

When you poke around the WWW a little, it appears as though unlimited resorts are mostly resorts owned by Alterra, so that makes sense.  this is kind of interesting as far as who owns what, but even though it was updated in like January, its still not up to date as ski resorts seem to change hands often.  

https://www.nsaa.org/NSAA/Media/Who_Owns_Which_Mountain_Resorts.aspx

so, with this new information, i would venture to say Blue Mountain PA, will never become an unlimited resort.  i cant quite grasp how KSL is in bed with Alterra, but i guess using the word "partner" is a definition used alot.  

Also, there will be even more confusion over BM Ontario, and BM PA.  maybe.  

• Sad 1

Ikon might sell more passes if they had a deal where it was a couple hundred off an ikon pass maybe for new ikon passholders if they have a season pass at a participating ikon resort.  

I also see local Ikon passholders lending their passes to friends to use at Blue and camelback.  That’s theft of services but sometimes I think like a criminal so essentially somebody with a Blue season pass and a full Ikon pass has 8 buddy passes for Blue or 6 on the base model pass.  Crazy 

Another thought is that Blue might well more season passes being on the Ikon pass as Ikon passholders discover the new Blue and use up their five or 7 days fast and then purchase an early bird pass around March 1st.  Blues thought is bring more people even at a reduced per person cost, and you’ll have more people buying food, drink, gear and other services.  With Ski2Live and the twins on Ikon, Blue stands to make $10s of additional dollars on a hot chocolate tap water and some chicken fingers shared three ways.  

more ramblings to come..doing THC experiments on myself again…

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ikon might sell more passes if they had a deal where it was a couple hundred off an ikon pass maybe for new ikon passholders if they have a season pass at a participating ikon resort.  

I also see local Ikon passholders lending their passes to friends to use at Blue and camelback.  That’s theft of services but sometimes I think like a criminal so essentially somebody with a Blue season pass and a full Ikon pass has 8 buddy passes for Blue or 6 on the base model pass.  Crazy 

Here’s a scenario.  Johnny BreakTheLaw has a Blue mountain season pass and an Ikon pass.  He already gave away his buddy pass to Schifdawgs hot aunt(hey I like blondes)..and then his pal Richard wants to ski Blue so Johnny BreakTheLaw uses his blue pass and Richard uses JohnnyBreakTheLaws Ikon pass(sorry no VIP access)..

So then Blues IT/loss prevention department will notice two JohnnyBreakTheLaws skiing at the same time at Blue even being scanned in seconds apart every run…that my friends is a pickle even Johnny Cochran couldn’t figure a way out of

91DB14D8-5004-43B5-962C-9A6C7485FD9C.gif

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich