January 7

zzslope

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

I would be interested to know how many Ikon passholders where there yesterday.  maybe they need to limit ikon?  They definitely had to many people there yesterday.  

Was waiting in line with a woman today who said that since she had an Ikon Pass she figured why not come up today. Heard a staff person say that today was the most crowded non-holiday Monday ever. Despite that, lazy mile and upper Main Street were in pretty good shape, although marbles were developing in lower main street. Never did make it over to the other side because the line for the quad started backing up pretty early. Atomic Jeff and Johnny Law were laying down some railroad tracks on upper Main Street. Quit about 1030 when the lift lines just exploded.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Looks like we will be getting a season pass holder line soon. Woo hoo!

Screenshot_20240108-145159-750.png.4c8db434c5a8bbda1c0a0c6bca0a07ee.png

Left side of the summit six pack had one today. The rope line after the season pass gate extended about halfway to the chair.

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

Can't believe I forgot but they skied EVERYTHING yesterday, every rock infested stump field,every lift line with cinder blocks and spine breaker concrete pads, come around park looks near groomed. It's impressive everywhere really but whatever the one next to midway was literally ridden down to the grass and rocks which I think is my favorite. 

Chute?  that had the least amount of snow on it of anything for some reason. lol.  I dont know if its just me, but im pretty leary about going off trail at Blue until it snows, rains just a little, then freezes.  Theres a lot of junk strewn around everywhere at Blue.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Left side of the summit six pack had one today. The rope line after the season pass gate extended about halfway to the chair.

Oops, misunderstood the issue. Separate SPH line all the way to the end of the general line would be grate. 

• Like 1

Rode from opening til 1:15 today.  The busiest non holiday weekday morning I’ve ever seen.  They opened the OG 6er and lines at all 3 lifts were out the gates.  Rode razors for the first time this year.  I was hesitant about coverage but it was surprisingly nice.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Chute?  that had the least amount of snow on it of anything for some reason. lol.  I dont know if its just me, but im pretty leary about going off trail at Blue until it snows, rains just a little, then freezes.  Theres a lot of junk strewn around everywhere at Blue.  

We noticed boarder tracks down the hill from Connector down to the East beginner slope on Sunday from Saturday night. 

Knowing the size of rocks, sticks, stumps, etc. off trail with only a few inches of snow to cover them, yeah, nope!
I'll let the boarders ruin their stuff and take their bodies into their own hands to compact the snow.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1

JFBB was the same way after they went onto Epic Pass. Lines were out of control and staffing seemed to be worse than under the Peak days. They would spin less lifts than the Peak days even with bigger crowds coming in. 

• Sad 1

I think it’s so busy because most casual skiers and riders did not ski opening day..plus until recently it wasn’t that much better up north or out west so people are staying closer to home.   Ikon people trying Blue for the first time or first time in awhile..what more can I say..anybody know if Nightmare to dreamweaver is open yet?  In 36 hours you’ll be able to kayak down it right into the Nile river. 

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

Looks like we will be getting a season pass holder line soon. Woo hoo!

Screenshot_20240108-145159-750.png.4c8db434c5a8bbda1c0a0c6bca0a07ee.png

This is amazing. We’re gonna get what we always had.  I feel like we all got really spoiled in some seasons past by lack of liftlines and early season while the runs were Mach looney no crazy lines.  Somebody even suggested another lift out by coming soon.  I think they have all the lifts they can handle for now.  

@saltyant how has camelback been?  I haven’t seen you at Blue in a couple fortnights 

• Boner City 1

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@saltyant how has camelback been?  I haven’t seen you at Blue in a couple fortnights 

Camelback has sucked. Yesterday, there was a little bit of snow in the Pocono Mountains. It triggered a massive insane frenzy of people from New York City coming in droves to pay paid parking and double or triple the regular lift rates to ski the same exact identical slopes that have been open for several weeks, and often in better shape. Camelback forgot to open 2 chair lifts so numerous people had to stand in massive long lines for 30 minutes to ski a tiny slope for 30 seconds. It's been not so grate at Camelback.

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

This is amazing. We’re gonna get what we always had.  I feel like we all got really spoiled in some seasons past by lack of liftlines and early season while the runs were Mach looney no crazy lines.  Somebody even suggested another lift out by coming soon.  I think they have all the lifts they can handle for now.  

I think VIP season passholders should get special jackets like the BMR Race Team and get to cut in front of thousands of non-VIP peasants standing in line for hours whenever they feel like it.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Screenshot from Sunday 912a

IMG_3521.jpeg

The best part about this:

There have been multiple comments all over social media, about how Blue should have known how bad it was going to be, how crazy because they sold out of tickets so they knew how many people would be there. And that's all correct, they should have known based on the number sold, etc, and they should have done more to have the lifts working. They knew we got freezing rain, they should have started on the lifts earlier. They should have started on the OG6 WAY before they did, they should have been trying to get the 6 and the quad up at the same time, whichever one comes up first it's still a win. 

But the best part is, they didn't really sell out of tickets. They just stopped selling tickets and marked them sold out. The sold out post went out not long after this screenshot timestamp. They didn't sell 629 tickets at $165 each in 30 minutes and sell out.  So at 9:15, with one lift working, hordes of people standing in line, they still had every intention of trying to pack more people onto the hill. Thankfully someone made one of the few intelligent decisions Blue made yesterday and decided to shut that down. But it shows how purely reactive every move they make these days seems to be. 

It's almost like they got rid of anyone who knew what they were doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

The best part about this:

There have been multiple comments all over social media, about how Blue should have known how bad it was going to be, how crazy because they sold out of tickets so they knew how many people would be there. And that's all correct, they should have known based on the number sold, etc, and they should have done more to have the lifts working. They knew we got freezing rain, they should have started on the lifts earlier. They should have started on the OG6 WAY before they did, they should have been trying to get the 6 and the quad up at the same time, whichever one comes up first it's still a win. 

But the best part is, they didn't really sell out of tickets. They just stopped selling tickets and marked them sold out. The sold out post went out not long after this screenshot timestamp. They didn't sell 629 tickets at $165 each in 30 minutes and sell out.  So at 9:15, with one lift working, hordes of people standing in line, they still had every intention of trying to pack more people onto the hill. Thankfully someone made one of the few intelligent decisions Blue made yesterday and decided to shut that down. But it shows how purely reactive every move they make these days seems to be. 

It's almost like they got rid of anyone who knew what they were doing.

I wonder if it has to do with leadership at acquired mountains trying to put on a show for the bean counters. It's like they want to show they can run the hill on the cheap to maximize their margins to prove their worth and get some more leverage later when they need to make the case for investments into their mountain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, indiggio said:

What really gets me is that for how many years have they done "gating" at the OG 6 & quad, yet they seem to have totally forgot how to do it at the new 6???  They've tried on multiple occasions to have someone stand right before the chair and proceed to count to 6, only to have people totally ignore them and do what they want anyway.   They really don't need a ton of room anyway to gate the people as having too much room there only causes more problems with people not being able to count to 6 and stay together as the assigned group.

Yeah, there's not as much room in front of the new 6, but they should have known about that at design time.   Since they didn't and clustered that all up, blow/push more snow in front of the readers to provide more area to wait. instead of putting up a fence to stop people from going around. 

The gates should be closer to the loading area, and an attendant should be pairing up the six outside the gate and sending them through as a group of 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Thats it, how could I forget Le chute

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I said it in the og thread but ikon was a bad idea, the problem at Blue has rarely been there aren't enough people but rather they cannot execute at the kind of level necessary to keep them as customers. 

You go gonzo on the tickets have a person directing traffic so over the hill isn't an hr procedure. Same on when they cross the street with clear signs on where they are going.  Neither lodge can handle those kinds of peeps, its not spruce goose at stowe, the ticket thing is always weird and if you have any issues you have to wait in a mad long line at the desk. 

That's all before they even gotten on the snow, if your checking out hills on Ikon or whatever would you come back ?

I would be pretty surprised if this lasts all season or even post rain event. No matter how long I've skied my whole life people ask me those same dumb ass questions about like is there any snow after a .10 rain event.....which is finally paying off if all these peeps go to the zoo or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Camelback has sucked. Yesterday, there was a little bit of snow in the Pocono Mountains. It triggered a massive insane frenzy of people from New York City coming in droves to pay paid parking and double or triple the regular lift rates to ski the same exact identical slopes that have been open for several weeks, and often in better shape. Camelback forgot to open 2 chair lifts so numerous people had to stand in massive long lines for 30 minutes to ski a tiny slope for 30 seconds. It's been not so grate at Camelback.

Why did you switch to CB?

2 minutes ago, tnt temp said:

Why did you switch to CB?

I didn't switch, I have a Blue Mountain season pass and bought the CB add on for $155 ($205 - $50 gift card). I like alternating between the two mountains because skiing the same old trails in Pennsylvania at any resort gets old after a while.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

I didn't switch, I have a Blue Mountain season pass and bought the CB add on for $155 ($205 - $50 gift card). I like alternating between the two mountains because skiing the same old trails in Pennsylvania at any resort gets old after a while.

Got it.  

Go full Ikon next year?

Just now, tnt temp said:

Got it.  

Go full Ikon next year?

Probably not because local options are too limited around here. I think you can only go to Blue/CB 10 times each or something which isn't enough since I like to ski once or twice per week.