New Purchases... What did you buy so far

phillycore

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Just sent an email.  I’m aware the rust on edges will come off in the snow, but it is still freaking me out

An email never hurts and who knows what will happen but if needed there is always a gummy stone in my car. 

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

Is aluminum that expensive? No rust

I would think it's a combo, generally aluminum holds a crappy edge and would be more prone to deformation as its strength isn't great. You have to ask someone smarter than me but as you move up the hardness scale it gets more brittle so you dont actually want something super super hard. You could probably do it with some kind of alloy but it would be way too expensive for minimal weight savings. With reasonable care rust isn't normally an issue obviously tp4's was prior to him obtaining possession. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is aluminum string enough for ski edges?   It’s interesting learning about different materials.  I’ve watched a lot of coal mining videos…they even make carbon fiber stickers for cars. 

ACBE73CF-9CBF-4BC5-8F89-B46136BF1F20.webp

99% of that stuff is vinyl with a carbon fiber print on top. Real carbon fiber parts are expensive AF and in general you need to be in something spendy or has spendy parts plus has to actually move fast rather than look fast. 

Generally you can tell because real CF has better depth but some of the vinyl is very good. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

99% of that stuff is vinyl with a carbon fiber print on top. Real carbon fiber parts are expensive AF and in general you need to be in something spendy or has spendy parts plus has to actually move fast rather than look fast. 

Generally you can tell because real CF has better depth but some of the vinyl is very good. 

Gotcha good info..I usually get my questions answered from Root but you’re a good resource as well. My last purchase was cheesy garlic bread lol

Stopped by the Buckman's in Whitehall for the tent sale yesterday. Only picked up a couple of used boot bags for the boys crap and a good condition used pair of pants for the older boy. Pops got new boots from the clearance sale.

Picked up a flyer about their pre-season tune up sale, seems like a good deal, figured I'd pass it along

20231012_193855.thumb.jpg.ba9bba9925e9703eb3b21716bf3c3729.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Stopped by the Buckman's in Whitehall for the tent sale yesterday. Only picked up a couple of used boot bags for the boys crap and a good condition used pair of pants for the older boy. Pops got new boots from the clearance sale.

Picked up a flyer about their pre-season tune up sale, seems like a good deal, figured I'd pass it along

20231012_193855.thumb.jpg.ba9bba9925e9703eb3b21716bf3c3729.jpg

I dropped mine off last week when I dropped off kids boots for the sale. Picked them up yesterday. They did a decent job. 

IMG_3990.jpeg

We hit the Buckman sale for the grandkids, got 2 pairs of skis and 2 pairs of boots. Skis were really rough looking but an hour on my workbench and the edges and bases look like new. I think the total cost on the skis was like $15 so a great purchase! The Buckman tune up costs look high to me, just saying. Hitting bases with a grind and edges with grinds does a great job shortening the life of the ski IMHO. I prefer light file and diamond hone to keep edges versus grinds and heavy filing.

IMG_5285001.jpg

Resized_20231013_113209.jpeg

• Like 9

After much research, I just got lazy and got myself some Altai HOK skis. Backcountry cross country skis are its own category, but sort of just seem like tele skis. I was looking hard at the Alpina Discovery 68’s. I dare you to find ANY info about these on their website. I double dare you to find a place that actually sells them. Guess I would have to fly to Slovenia and take European delivery. 

Was also looking at the Fischer S-Bound series. Again, seems like a unicorn and couldn’t find them in stock anywhere. The shops around here seem to focus on the skimo crowd as the Big 4 race and the Grand Traverse are big deals here. You can’t walk into a ski shop and throw a rock without hitting a pair of Dynafit’s. On a side note, is it me or does the skimo crowd seem to bear a striking resemblance to the road bike crowd. Both have an air of elitist douchebag and both fall under the umbrella term spandex mafia. And if you are a man and weigh over 147.2 lbs they kick you out of either club. 

These are my new HOK’s

IMG_8656.thumb.jpeg.f5380019d0168ceba759e40196a671e3.jpeg

They have a permanent skin on the bottom. They seem like toys they are so tiny. 125’s. Bindings similar to snowboard bindings and are adjustable to any shoe.

Snow incoming this weekend, YAY! 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Barb said:

After much research, I just got lazy and got myself some Altai HOK skis. Backcountry cross country skis are its own category, but sort of just seem like tele skis. I was looking hard at the Alpina Discovery 68’s. I dare you to find ANY info about these on their website. I double dare you to find a place that actually sells them. Guess I would have to fly to Slovenia and take European delivery. 

Was also looking at the Fischer S-Bound series. Again, seems like a unicorn and couldn’t find them in stock anywhere. The shops around here seem to focus on the skimo crowd as the Big 4 race and the Grand Traverse are big deals here. You can’t walk into a ski shop and throw a rock without hitting a pair of Dynafit’s. On a side note, is it me or does the skimo crowd seem to bear a striking resemblance to the road bike crowd. Both have an air of elitist douchebag and both fall under the umbrella term spandex mafia. And if you are a man and weigh over 147.2 lbs they kick you out of either club. 

These are my new HOK’s

They have a permanent skin on the bottom. They seem like toys they are so tiny. 125’s. Bindings similar to snowboard bindings and are adjustable to any shoe.

I kinda looked at those as a replacement for snowshoes...How heavy are they? 

There are elitist douchbags in every sport...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barb said:

These are my new HOK’s

Are you going with the single pole?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Not a rider but that looks like tomahawk city 😳

Its for training precisely to avoid such things on the snow 🤣  I am really impressed how progressive it feels in improving balance in different positions and switching positions on it.  It's very forgiving for figuring out the confidence and feeling of what would be sliding off a jib early as opposed to slipping out or wrecking.

Edited by DiMe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Scored some longship variant corvus's last night, not only are they my long coveted midnight in Cairo graphics they were once owned by a legit pro. 

Historical provenance is often thought of with fine cars or such but legend has it mute himself once rode these down the icy slopes of Palmerton. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Boner City 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

Scored some longship variant corvus's last night, not only are they my long coveted midnight in Cairo graphics they were once owned by a legit pro. 

Historical provenance is often thought of with fine cars or such but legend has it mute himself once rode these down the icy slopes of Palmerton. 

Did they come with a COA?

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Is that the same ski you lost in the Pacific Northwest?