I like trains!!! Train thread...

9 hours ago, NMSKI said:

This is a cool interactive map where you can check out abandoned railroad corridors:

https://www.frrandp.com/p/the-map.html

I wasted a bit of time with this today.

Lol Safe to say we won’t see @toast21602anytime soon. 

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

I spent WAY more time than I should have browsing that this afternoon. 

I spend way too much time on google maps. Ski resorts, arenas, racetracks, landmarks ect ect. Constantly looking for stuff. 

• Like 4

My business was founded in 1929 and the original location backed up to a railroad that ran right along where present day route 22 runs. The granite was delivered by yeah.  Wenz memorials which used to be on Hamilton had the same situation with a railroad that ran from union terrace to dorney park behind the property. 

I can't remember the last time I went more than a day or two without just playing around on Google maps. There's always something to see or find on there. I do most of my searching for restaurants or stores on there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hand drawn train for a memorial stone. The film is on one side to prevent the ink from smudging 

6C7F2B7B-70C6-431D-A692-A6644415E27C.jpeg

At least they got the propulsion system correct.  not that second class diesel stuff.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I can't tell if pictures like that on tombstones are cool or tacky, I think I lean towards tacky, but it's kind of cool to put a little more on there than just your name so in 100 years someone knows a little bit about you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

I can't tell if pictures like that on tombstones are cool or tacky, I think I lean towards tacky, but it's kind of cool to put a little more on there than just your name so in 100 years someone knows a little bit about you. 

I would say a beer mug and a bingo card on a tombstone is tacky but plenty of people do that.  As long as the family likes the finished product that’s what matters.   We have a recent request where the family wants to use a handwritten note on a tombstone. 

A9D70B81-4562-4651-A36E-E3C38E4D7D2C.png

Idk, I just feel the whole tombstone thing, embalming your body, putting it in the ground is just too weird. And expensive. Then your family feels obligated to visit your grave. I’m all for being cremated, and having your ashes spread in places you loved. But to each, his own. 

• Like 3

Just now, momskeeztoo said:

Idk, I just feel the whole tombstone thing, embalming your body, putting it in the ground is just too weird. And expensive. Then your family feels obligated to visit your grave. I’m all for being cremated, and having your ashes spread in places you loved. But to each, his own. 

Well a lot of people get cremated and still have a tombstone or at least their name and dates on a family members tombstone.  The next decade or so I’m taking advantage of more traditional folks who still want tombstones then selling the business. 

Just now, momskeeztoo said:

I’m sure there are lots of folks who want to go the traditional route. And that’s their choice. Just not my thing. And my in-laws were cremated, then their urns and ashes buried. I would rather be scattered about. 

I’ll let the state figure out what to do with me...I still have customers born like in 1930-1940 who still get the exact same thing their parents got but that trend will change real quick. 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ll let the state figure out what to do with me...I still have customers born like in 1930-1940 who still get the exact same thing their parents got but that trend will change real quick. 

Yes, it’s definitely a traditional thing.. people do whatever their family did.