Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

11 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Data privacy and security is a serious topic that most people are total oblivious to.  It's one of the reasons why I'll keep buying Apple products.  You are not their product, their hardware/services are their product.  You pay the "Apple Tax" so they don't have to sell your personal data for profit (like Google does).  There is a reason why Apple is in the hot seat over their device encryption and lack of backdoors.  They know that if a government backdoor exists, it'll be exploited by others.  But, I also don't believe that there should be a government backdoor.

Here's a good Last Week Tonight with Edward Snowden from a years ago.  Snowden puts data privacy and government surveillance into a topic everyone can wrap their heads around....dick pics.

Good thing our group chat is iMessage based on apple products...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Good thing our group chat is iMessage based on apple products...

Yes, and iMessage has end-to-end encryption.  Not even "the man" can see dick picks come across "the wire".

I know I've said this to you before, as you have brought up things like 23 & Me.  Avoid them like the plague.  Laws governing genetic privacy are way too weak, and if the data exists, the government will get access to it if they want to.  

It was a personal internal struggle for me when I decided to get GlobalEntry.  I had to give "the man" my finger prints for the first time, ever.  Do I trust DHS with that data?  No.  But, the convenience of PreCheck/GlobalEntry was worth the additional exposure I thought.  You can never completely mitigate the data privacy risk, as that would mean you'd have no electric devices connected to the internet, but you can limit your risk by avoiding unnecessary data sharing.

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Did you read Edward Snowden's book?  I had never really considered my right to data privacy one way or another until I read that and I was blown away!

Did not read but I am always looking for good books, so thanks for the recommendation. 

I saw an article today where people are pissed target and walmart in some areas have stopped sales of non essential items like clothes, toys, and one lady was really upset that she couldnt run to the store to get printer ink. What the fuck. This i whats wrong with people in this country. To me all these people are complaining about is they cant go “shopping”. Last i saw, amazon still had toys and printer ink. And clothes?  Where the fuck are you going where you need new clothes anyways?  Dressing up for a special dinner inside your house?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Printer ink may be an issue if people are working from home.  I know I've been using a lot, and paper too  Not sure it's necessary to run right out to the store and get ink though.  I'm pretty sure places like Staples are still doing curbside pickup though, at least they were.  

We do staples online and I ran out of stamps at work and ordered more online vs going to the post office..the USPS is not doing well. If you want to support them buy some stamps..you’ll use them sometime. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

33 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Printer ink may be an issue if people are working from home.  I know I've been using a lot, and paper too  Not sure it's necessary to run right out to the store and get ink though.  I'm pretty sure places like Staples are still doing curbside pickup though, at least they were.  

Plan ahead. Have a plan. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

We do staples online and I ran out of stamps at work and ordered more online vs going to the post office..the USPS is not doing well. If you want to support them buy some stamps..you’ll use them sometime. 

I read somewhere the USPS was forced to pay pensions upfront for 75 years. No shit they're doing bad then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For jersey. Betting most of what RU develops (and produces) stays in state and possibly ny as the viral positive rate here is several times that as elsewhere. I’m sure other state universities are doing the same. I know MA is planning on massive testing and they certainly have the academic infrastructure.

A lotta folks will come up with better mouse traps testing wise. Vaccine, anti-viral meds is a whole different matter
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

For jersey. Betting most of what RU develops (and produces) stays in state and possibly ny as the viral positive rate here is several times that as elsewhere. I’m sure other state universities are doing the same. I know MA is planning on massive testing and they certainly have the academic infrastructure.

A lotta folks will come up with better mouse traps testing wise. Vaccine, anti-viral meds is a whole different matter

Just like Mike said on our Utah trip, he had all the primer/probe sequences from the initial qPCR assay in house and could have done tests w/ results in a few hours.  Just boggles the mind as to what’s going on with testing in the US.

Another Dr. said any large university typically has the equipment to do the tests, but the CDC is blocking them from doing that.  It seems as though they want complete control.

With NY/NJ being hot spots, it’s fine that they use the tests there, but I’m sure they’ll provide the technology for others to do it too.  

Edited by indiggio