Elk Day - FEBRUARY 8th, 2021

RidgeRacer

11 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Does Elk have everything open yet? And will they by the 8th? I would hope so, but I'm just curious.

That's a valid concern. Maybe better to do it later if there's not a lot of snow there. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Does Elk have everything open yet? And will they by the 8th? I would hope so, but I'm just curious.

They mostly had everything open when I was there. The long boring green (Lehigh) and some of the blues on the right side of the mountain (when facing it) were not open, but there are many great black and blue runs to choose from.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schif said:

That's a valid concern. Maybe better to do it later if there's not a lot of snow there. 

Lehigh (green circle) and Kickapoo (blue square) are closed. So is Stompin' Grounds Terrain Park. Tuscarora (black diamond) is only partially open. Everything else is open as of today.

I think you boys will be just fine.

https://www.elkskier.com/conditions/

Edited by saltyant

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Great, thanks.

Any time! Trail 15 (Wyalusing) is very fun.  I could ski that all day long, though I did both sides of the mountain pretty evenly as 3 (Mohawk) is great fun too. Basically every black diamond is awesome. Either 24 or 25 is full of moguls, I forget which one. They were relatively soft and enjoyable for NEPA skiing - e.g. not complete sheets of ice.

Untitled.png.e1fef3e54dca84c4897cb2c4d5ea00fc.png

Edited by saltyant

Should have everything open for sure. They've been blowing the last two trails and big park nonstop the last day or so. Adding to what they blew previously

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Gonna try to make a little trip out of this...booked a ticket for Greek Peak for Sunday, then I'll stay over somewhere and hit Elk Monday.  

Thats a decent plan.  Greek is fun and different.  Hopefully they are busy making snow....last time i checked, they didnt have tons open.  

18 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Thats a decent plan.  Greek is fun and different.  Hopefully they are busy making snow....last time i checked, they didnt have tons open.  

Yeah they don't have a lot open but hopefully that should change by then.  I also considered Plattekill for that Sunday, which has pretty much everything open.  That's a good bit further for me though.  

2 hours ago, PSUFly said:

Yeah they don't have a lot open but hopefully that should change by then.  I also considered Plattekill for that Sunday, which has pretty much everything open.  That's a good bit further for me though.  

Platty and Greek Peak have been getting a couple inches a day of lake effect all week. Both should be good. As far as Plattekill having a lot open, you may want to bring some rock skis for the natural snow trails. They're pretty liberal about opening things up. If you've never been it's a great place when they have snow.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Platty and Greek Peak have been getting a couple inches a day of lake effect all week. Both should be good. As far as Plattekill having a lot open, you may want to bring some rock skis for the natural snow trails. They're pretty liberal about opening things up. If you've never been it's a great place when they have snow.

I've never been to either mountain, so it'll be cool to go somewhere new.  I'm locked into Greek Peak for 2/7, but I'm going to try to make it to Plattekill this year too.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, PSUFly said:

I've never been to either mountain, so it'll be cool to go somewhere new.  I'm locked into Greek Peak for 2/7, but I'm going to try to make it to Plattekill this year too.

Wait until they have a solid base of natural snow. When Platty is on it is really on. 

• Like 1