January 7

zzslope

@Benm Were chairs really loaded with 1 or 2 people yesterday, as I see on Facebook? That's absolute insanity with 10,000 people in line.

But I can see how it happens - when I ski single, I just keep moving up in the line until I'm on a chair whether I'm alone or with 5 others. Often I'll line up with people and then when it's our turn to board, they just stand there and I end up riding alone because they don't want to ride with 1 stranger. Not my fault, it's theirs... Yet I end up looking like the bad guy 💁

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Both 6's are currently running.  looks like they are setting up ropes to run the old 6 today.  I guess they are working on redemption.  

'do you want to set up challenge as a backup today'

'yes'

• Like 2

What really gets me is that for how many years have they done "gating" at the OG 6 & quad, yet they seem to have totally forgot how to do it at the new 6???  They've tried on multiple occasions to have someone stand right before the chair and proceed to count to 6, only to have people totally ignore them and do what they want anyway.   They really don't need a ton of room anyway to gate the people as having too much room there only causes more problems with people not being able to count to 6 and stay together as the assigned group.

Yeah, there's not as much room in front of the new 6, but they should have known about that at design time.   Since they didn't and clustered that all up, blow/push more snow in front of the readers to provide more area to wait. instead of putting up a fence to stop people from going around. 

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, indiggio said:

What really gets me is that for how many years have they done "gating" at the OG 6 & quad, yet they seem to have totally forgot how to do it at the new 6???  They've tried on multiple occasions to have someone stand right before the chair and proceed to count to 6, only to have people totally ignore them and do what they want anyway.   They really don't need a ton of room anyway to gate the people as having too much room there only causes more problems with people not being able to count to 6 and stay together as the assigned group.

Yeah, there's not as much room in front of the new 6, but they should have known about that at design time.   Since they didn't and clustered that all up, blow/push more snow in front of the readers to provide more area to wait. instead of putting up a fence to stop people from going around. 

Correct. The "gating" method seemed to work well and most people will listen if someone who appears authoritarian does it. Even Camelback was doing their best to fill the lift yesterday and paired me with groups of 4 or 5. To have no one doing that at Blue yesterday morning is asinine.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Correct. The "gating" method seemed to work well and most people will listen if someone who appears authoritarian does it. Even Camelback was doing their best to fill the lift yesterday and paired me with groups of 4 or 5. To have no one doing that at Blue yesterday morning is asinine.

I didn't ride the quad yesterday but Saturday they were gating at the quad while not at the new 6.
Go figure...

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Filling the chairs would have helped and I was also wondering why they can't do that anymore. Also, isn't one of the selling points of the season pass the VIP line? What happened to that?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Both 6's are currently running.  looks like they are setting up ropes to run the old 6 today.  I guess they are working on redemption.  

Only had the quad and MSE on the conditions report today 🙃

Also no Razors

Edit* No Razors listed but apparently it's open, and not groomed.

Edited by mute1080
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Filling the chairs would have helped and I was also wondering why they can't do that anymore. Also, isn't one of the selling points of the season pass the VIP line? What happened to that?

Lots of people are bitching on socials about the lack of VIP lines on the lifts.

Why doesn't Blue have a reservation system for Ikon pass holders too?

Blue obviously has to have some idea of what an overloaded mountain is (they said they sold out of tickets), so why don't they sell less tickets too?  Greed...

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

when i finally went to the quad, the VIP gate was roped off, like orange tape in an X shape across it.

photos of the six showed a traffic cone with a pole sticking up out of it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mute1080 said:

Only had the quad and MSE on the conditions report today 🙃

Also no Razors

Edit* No Razors listed but apparently it's open, and not groomed.

i've had the condition report open since 6 am, and they definitely did show Raisins being open.  

image.png.44b8cc614c2ffca66571201b50ce6cba.png

They are probably changing things on the fly as it suits them.  lol.

Oh, and its pretty busy there right now, 12 noon.  OG 6 is running.

And yeah, like @indiggio mentioned, tons of people complaining about no SP line for any lift.  

Hopefully they will use this experience as a learning tool.  they have gotten enough shit about it, and i do think its warranted.  Lifts should start loading at opening.  All of them should be operational, and pretty much ready to go any day, any hour, and its pretty apparent, that hasnt been the case.  We have all been there for a day in the past, whether its a powder day, or just a day where there is like no chance they can fuck up the grooming.....and they have lift issues.  

its like showing up to Dunkin donuts, and they say they dont have any heart shaped donuts on valentines day.  You had 1 job to do.  

If i was management, i would be utterly embarrassed over what happened yesterday.  Its all on management.  

• Like 3

Let's talk about the season passholder VIP lines. It seems like there were tons of people complaining about them, right? Well, I'm sorry to rain on the parade here, but if everyone is a VIP then no one is a VIP, and that line would be just as backed up single file as the rest of them. 

If I was Blue right now, I would be going over the data from Sunday. Figuring out how many people going through those gates were Blue Passholders vs Ikoners vs day tickets. I'm sure it's a wildly complex model, but the smartest thing to do is to be able to understand uphill capacity vs demand across those 3 groups and then both price and limit your day ticket sales accordingly. 

They are trying to walk a fine line between leaving money on the table and leaving customers in gigantic lines and we all know how that went for them this past weekend. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

Wonder how the true Mountain is today? I hear no one skis there anymore, it's too crowded

Rode with C1er and Atomic, snow was obviously pretty good,  upper main left side in the sun was set it and forget it at maximum speed. Lower started to come apart quick with all the water in the snow but was fine while we were there.

Lazy was very good again as was coming soon though a bit harder snow and more ripples right before the exit to pdis.

Razors was opened left side ungroomed if refrozen icy mogul/luge tracks are your thing. 

Some of the best snow this year to rip but not as good as you might think.  Old sixer was moving but only quad and new sixer were loading while we were there. 

Unsurprisingly it was busy early and only picked up,  nothing like yesterday but by 1015 it was out the cattle chutes and we peaced out.  

Super nice day to get some hot laps in with Atomic, new skis where the trail runs out he's stupid fast. Not home stretch hero, like full radius turns. Shame it's been tough with the crowds and now the weather is coming but I have decent hopes post monsoon. 

• Like 3

Can't believe I forgot but they skied EVERYTHING yesterday, every rock infested stump field,every lift line with cinder blocks and spine breaker concrete pads, come around park looks near groomed. It's impressive everywhere really but whatever the one next to midway was literally ridden down to the grass and rocks which I think is my favorite. 

• Like 4