the pics from today thread

Justin

3 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Nature.  Im assuming erosion will eventually cause this tree to fall

IMG_0008.thumb.jpeg.af98b1169cebbbf212e51a5e2c606615.jpeg

Thanks for the flashback. I grew up in the west end of Allentown not far from Wehrs dam. . Downstream a quarter mile was a massive sycamore tree probably 5’ in diameter. After a big storm It fell across the river. It was so massive that the river undercut the trunk and created a 10’ deep hole. The roots were about 12’ above the water. It was a freaking natural swimming hole. Had a couple good months of it till the powers that be decided it was too dangerous. They cut the trunk and the stump went back to where it started. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Correct..how’s Lyfe been TP4..last time we were chatting about Pizza Hut how I gave away almost half a pizza pie to hotel staff and since life has been better than ever. 

I’m disappointed/worried about the local Pizza Hut. I’ve tried to order from them the past 2 nights but they now close at 9:00, even on saturdays and fridays which is crazy.  Makes me think business isn’t that good.  Other than that all good here, not much new.  I haven’t been to an amusement park in 10 years, thinking of going.

5 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

I’m disappointed/worried about the local Pizza Hut. I’ve tried to order from them the past 2 nights but they now close at 9:00, even on saturdays and fridays which is crazy.  Makes me think business isn’t that good.  Other than that all good here, not much new.  I haven’t been to an amusement park in 10 years, thinking of going.

The Pizza Hut by me is open till 10 or 11 and the only time I really go is on the way home from work.  

21 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

The deer are literally not afraid anymore. This one sat there looking at me waiting for food. Our neighbors have them eat out their hand. Smh

IMG_20230819_130921_HDR~3.jpg

I had 2 walking around my deck yesterday around 2 pm, which is kinda odd, but they were not scared of me one bit. Even when i stepped off the deck to walk to the shed it wasnt concerned with me getting even closer. My neighbors throw out corn for them, which i despise, so this is probably a result of that.   

15 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I had 2 walking around my deck yesterday around 2 pm, which is kinda odd, but they were not scared of me one bit. Even when i stepped off the deck to walk to the shed it wasnt concerned with me getting even closer. My neighbors throw out corn for them, which i despise, so this is probably a result of that.   

We have herds of them roaming through the yard at various times of day, none of which seem to be bothered by us unless they have Bambi's with them, then the does will huff and puff and stomp their feet to get you to stay away.

These stupid things are why the wife can't have any nice plants within their reach, as they'll eat them to the bone, even those plants that deer aren't supposed to eat, they just gobble down.  It's like a buffet to them.  I spray the stinky anti-deer crap on various shrubs we don't want them to devour, but it just seems like they just like the added flavor.

• Sad 2

Finally some progress!  Started cutting down trees where our future garage will be. Still no permit due to factors out of our control. I was told there is a 50/50 chance I will get in trouble for cutting down trees without my permit but I was in a gambling kind of mood. 
IMG_8413.thumb.jpeg.d6c57cd465757a38f854c13817075f8f.jpeg

IMG_8414.thumb.jpeg.cf3542e2bca4feb3bb82f1d90f5a99bb.jpeg

IMG_8410.thumb.jpeg.54ba70a8b398605d296665be5adda5d2.jpeg

When I showed my excavator the site he was like “Oh no problem”. Looks as gnarly as where the house site was, maybe more. 
IMG_8416.thumb.jpeg.76a9ba9d5405837b7647aae262b0090d.jpeg

they are making a nice fresh pile for us to cut for firewood. Although some went into the chipper  I would have saved. I wasn’t going to run out there and be a Karen and start yelling. But in my head I was like why are you not saving that tree for us? 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Barb said:

Finally some progress!  

Are you in an HOA or is it a state thing regarding the permits and cutting?

Good on you tho for just doing it.

We had a tree disposed of recently and I was stunned with what diameter they could grind. I would've liked to keep a bit more. 

Edited by Benm

No hoa but county rules are weird about percentages of trees you can cut down on your property without a permit. 

I definitely cannot begin to excavate without a permit but cutting is a gray area. You would think being here in no man’s land it would not be a problem. The Walton family (Walmart) owns land down the street from us. They were trying to build a bridge across the river and I guess did have permission for that. But decided to build up the bank and create a small “beach.”  Someone found out and called the powers that be and now they are in some trouble. 

people do all kinds of shit up here. Generally I am a rule follower but I am running out of time before the snow to get this completed. Any corner I can cut I will. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Barb worst thing that happens is you get a fine for not getting a permit for tree removal or the sierra club will leave a dead whale in front of your house.  Not like you’re going to jail.  How large of a garage are you building?   

I like the Sierra club comment. Lol. Garage will be 25 x 30 with an upstairs man cave to prevent divorce. 

• Like 3