the pics from today thread

Justin

Pretty good day today in Marble. Been here a week, have to go back next week as we are officially putting the Boulder house on the market. 

Started this morning w a fire with our coffee 

3A8463D3-05B6-41BE-BF1F-EF29A6D85E4A.thumb.jpeg.3041a1c0a06cc202eab7cef83b295698.jpeg

Decided to drive to Buttermilk for a hike.  Local hikes still pretty muddy and unpredictable with conditions.  Still a small pile of snow and park features on the main trail.  Probably left over from x games.  I saw 3 snowboarders playing around on it.

12EEE0C5-4C92-4193-B893-9BD08147845C.thumb.jpeg.70f80526c0df650300d643b04ef4a997.jpeg

I parked at Tiehack lift.  The lift was spinning but did not see anyone ride it.  Tiehack is just as steep to hike as it is to skin.  I was uninspired and only hiked up a mile gaining about 1000’.  There was nobody around, no wind, sunny skies.  I rested my head in my backpack a while just watching the clouds, it was peaceful.

98087721-E9D1-4BD3-988B-5D4882EA85A7.thumb.jpeg.f8b6e7b091109a14ccf87f17eb05f458.jpeg

Some neighbors we had met last time we were up here called our *land line* and asked if they could stop by.  They are an elderly couple that have lived here 50 years.  The guy has some great stories and history, love hearing to him talk.  His wife baked us an apple pie, it was so sweet.  The people here are somewhat guarded, but all so genuine and nice.  

I think it is going to feel weird going back to Boulder after this longer stay here.  Marble is really starting to feel like home.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

@Barb are you gonna have a big yard sale?  I just imagine how much excess furniture and stuff you’ll have selling boulder house. If you ever visit boulder I’m sure you have a few friends you can stay with or just be a tourist and stay at the Boulderado or something. It’s cool what you’re doing but do you miss skiing in PA and summers on the beach and boardwalk??

I think realistically when you have a yard sale, you spend a whole day to make a few hundred dollars. Not worth all the hassle. We have been purging things for the last 2 months. Lots of trips to good will, gave a lot to friends, sold some things. I am hoping someone who buys are house wants it furnished. 

I have friends I can stay with if I visit. I was just telling someone the other day that I absolutely do not miss the shore. It was nice growing up at the beach and it’s nice to visit. As far as skiing in PA….I miss spending weekends in the Poconos with my kids when they were little. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Barb said:

I think realistically when you have a yard sale, you spend a whole day to make a few hundred dollars. Not worth all the hassle. We have been purging things for the last 2 months. Lots of trips to good will, gave a lot to friends, sold some things. I am hoping someone who buys are house wants it furnished. 

I have friends I can stay with if I visit. I was just telling someone the other day that I absolutely do not miss the shore. It was nice growing up at the beach and it’s nice to visit. As far as skiing in PA….I miss spending weekends in the Poconos with my kids when they were little. 

you will never ever hear me say, "im going to have a yard sale."  I would rather go buy a whole bunch of good beer and light my shit on fire outside and make smores.  

Next time i move, im getting a huge dumpster.  i threw so much out last time, and moving furniture just sucks.  Next time, new house, new furniture.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

you will never ever hear me say, "im going to have a yard sale."  I would rather go buy a whole bunch of good beer and light my shit on fire outside and make smores.  

Next time i move, im getting a huge dumpster.  i threw so much out last time, and moving furniture just sucks.  Next time, new house, new furniture.  

Just put it at the curb. People will take most of it.

• Like 2

There's a whole culture of trash pickers that emerge from the darkness the night before bulk trash pickup.  I'll put stuff out on Thursday night in preparation for bulk trash on Friday and it's usually gone by the morning.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The last time I moved I just threw most of my stuff out.  

You guys are leaving beer money on the table . Pick a local auction place and drop it off , they get 40% but sometimes you get 2 people who really want your junk and they get into a bidding war and pay too much. 

Over the years I've sold thousands on Ebay but it got to be a pain so I just drop stuff off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AirheadD8 said:

You guys are leaving beer money on the table . Pick a local auction place and drop it off , they get 40% but sometimes you get 2 people who really want your junk and they get into a bidding war and pay too much. 

Over the years I've sold thousands on Ebay but it got to be a pain so I just drop stuff off.  

I didn’t even have thousands of dollars worth of stuff…I threw out my bed, couch, drawers, coffee table stuff like that.  

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I didn’t even have thousands of dollars worth of stuff…I threw out my bed, couch, drawers, coffee table stuff like that.  

Still a tax deductible donation to a charity. I learned that from Bill Clinton , he donated some used underwear. 

• Haha 2

On 6/6/2023 at 4:10 PM, NMSKI said:

There's a whole culture of trash pickers that emerge from the darkness the night before bulk trash pickup.  I'll put stuff out on Thursday night in preparation for bulk trash on Friday and it's usually gone by the morning.  

When I was a teenager we were switching locations at work and ordered a dumpster to throw out old filing cabinets, furniture, etc.  within a half hour of putting stuff in the dumpsters the scrappers started showing up.  They can smell it in the air. Two of them even got in an argument that almost came to blows.  By the next day the dumpster was completely empty.

about once per year the caln township police have to put out a statement telling people not to call the police for people going through their trash, as it is completely legal

my coffee table came from someone’s trash, pulled over, picked it up, went home and cleaned it

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

We just came back a day early from camping. Sitting around a campfire in the haze didn’t sound fun. But this is a bit scary. Never have seen anything like this, and we really need rain. 

I wonder how long until water restrictions start?  I figure first they’ll limit watering lawns and then maybe tell people to take shorter showers. 

53 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I wonder how long until water restrictions start?  I figure first they’ll limit watering lawns and then maybe tell people to take shorter showers. 

I haven't cut my grass in two weeks. I was going to cut it earlier this week but its so dry. All that is growing are the random weeds because they are resilient AF. At least I could see the mountain this morning and it isn't as smoky. 

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 3

Saw this on the WWW last night, its the air quality index.  this might put things into perspective somewhat..  

image.png.fc4083177e0b6b78f09000734306ba59.png

It was 361 this morning.  Poconos has dropped significantly to about 200, so things south should be improving soon.  be interesting to see what this says later on today.  I would also like to see what a normal June day is supposed to be for reference.  

13 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

We just came back a day early from camping. Sitting around a campfire in the haze didn’t sound fun. But this is a bit scary. Never have seen anything like this, and we really need rain. 

We haven't camped yet which I'm greatly annoyed by. Looking at doing something in the next few weeks 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Meh we were in the 400s. I love how this is keeping temperatures cool.  We need a couple good volcanic eruptions to replicate the summer of 1816 which was the year without a summer in the northeast.  

Kiluea started erupting yesterday, so looks like Mother Nature is working on it