VT - Dear Joey's Fuck you Pay me

Johnny Law

Don't people have smart phones? Google maps will lead you out of the woods and onto a road.

I barely get service on my I phone at bear creek. Some places up north have little to no service over the in bound sections of the mountain.

If you were being sarcastic then touché

Seriously?

What if the snow is deep, it's all uphill, you've lost a ski our are injured? What if there's no cell service? You're the kind of person they're busy rescuing!

No, just referring to the OP. It said they were lost didn't say anyone was hurt. I've gone out of bounds off the backside at Pico before and used my phone to end me up in the Ramshed parking lot at Killington and jumped on the shuttle back to my car at Pico.

This is a better solution. Resorts can even offer it per day, sold right at the ticket window.

Resorts probably wouldn't want to offer such an insurance as it would promote out of bounds skiing.

Kind of like those that say you shouldn't hang a "Beware of Dog" sign as it shows you know your dog may harm someone.

there is definitely already supplemental insurance in existence to handle this sort of thing. as a skier, mountain biker, and surfer, supplemental action sports insurance is definitely something i've considered, i highly doubt joey from staten island would have ever even heard of such insurance.

really, reliance on gps and smart phones instead of common sense and experiance is probably why most of the joeys are lost in the first place. can be too hard on 'em though - ive been a turn or two away from being lost or beyond the point of no return to the trail a few times myself. it wasn't my innate sense of direction or my mad mountaineering skills that kept me from being one of thse guys but a bit of common sense and fear.

really, reliance on gps and smart phones instead of common sense and experiance is probably why most of the joeys are lost in the first place. can be too hard on 'em though - ive been a turn or two away from being lost or beyond the point of no return to the trail a few times myself. it wasn't my innate sense of direction or my mad mountaineering skills that kept me from being one of thse guys but a bit of common sense and fear

I agree. Just from seeing my wife have no clue where the hell she is half the time in the car and on the mountain I can imagine there are so many people that just get way out of there element.

Would 25 or 50 cents per ticket statewide be enough to cover the search and rescues for the year in vermont? If a search and rescue needs to be performed for something other than skiing, should the money come from a surcharge on that sport rather than from a lift ticket surcharge? How am I as a skier responsible for a rock climber, a kayaker, a wayward skydiver, or a lost hiker? Is the money gleaned from lift ticket surcharges going to skier rescues only?

Would 25 or 50 cents per ticket statewide be enough to cover the search and rescues for the year in vermont? If a search and rescue needs to be performed for something other than skiing, should the money come from a surcharge on that sport rather than from a lift ticket surcharge? How am I as a skier responsible for a rock climber, a kayaker, a wayward skydiver, or a lost hiker? Is the money gleaned from lift ticket surcharges going to skier rescues only?

No reason for statewide. If average SAR is $500 and they budget for 100 rescues, that's $50,000/yr. If they rescue 2-3 Joeys in one rescue, its still $500 since it takes the same amount of effort to rescue 1 or 3. How many lift passes does Kmart/Pico sell a year? I'm thinking a quarter per ticket prolly covers it.

If average SAR is $500 and they budget for 100 rescues, that's $50,000/yr. If they rescue 2-3 Joeys in one rescue, its still $500 since it takes the same amount of effort to rescue 1 or 3. How many lift passes does Kmart/Pico sell a year?

lol...This sounds like one of my Daughter's math word problems.

"10,000 Joey's are skiing at K-,Mart. 5000 are wearing jeans, 3000 have their jackets unzipped. 1000 got lost in the the woods. How many Joey's are left?"

No reason for statewide. If average SAR is $500 and they budget for 100 rescues, that's $50,000/yr. If they rescue 2-3 Joeys in one rescue, its still $500 since it takes the same amount of effort to rescue 1 or 3. How many lift passes does Kmart/Pico sell a year? I'm thinking a quarter per ticket prolly covers it.

Last I heard, K-Mart was leading this east with something like 750k (decreasing) visits a year... SR was about 525k (increasing) and Loon was about 500k (increasing)... I think $.50 would cover it...

I don't know, in my opinion, why should I pay for some moron who is where they don't belong? My wife lived in VT and tells stories of skiing at Sugarbush and having people coming in from off trail asking if they were still at Mad River-- if you aren't qualified to be off trail, if you want to go into "uncharted terrain" don't expect me to pay for you to be saved. If you go back country you should expect to be responsible for yourself, be prepared, and if you need a helicopter or a team of people to bail you out, be prepared for the expense. My opinion FWIIW, probably not much!

• Like 1

Last I heard, K-Mart was leading this east with something like 750k (decreasing) visits a year... SR was about 525k (increasing) and Loon was about 500k (increasing)... I think $.50 would cover it...

750k people. The lift tickets, lodging, and restaurant income for the general rutland area must be quite a bit.

lol...This sounds like one of my Daughter's math word problems.

"10,000 Joey's are skiing at K-,Mart. 5000 are wearing jeans, 3000 have their jackets unzipped. 1000 got lost in the the woods. How many Joey's are left?"

34?

750k people. The lift tickets, lodging, and restaurant income for the general rutland area must be quite a bit. lol...This sounds like one of my Daughter's math word problems.

They used to be up around 1.2 million in the 80s heyday, but those days are long past...

Just about every single sherriff's office and SAR group in the country opposes charging for rescue and refrains from doing so. It's the uninformed people in government, or others not involved who have no sense of what goes on or the ability to even form an educated opinion on the matter that tend to support charging for SAR.

People tend to not call, or wait too long to call for help if there is a risk of a charge. This puts not only their own life at more risk, but also increases the risk for rescuers when they have to assist a more severely exhausted individual or individuals under less ideal conditions.

If your house catches on fire, should you have to pay the fire department to respond to your call for help? If someone breaks into your car, should you have to pay the police to assist you? Shit happens, and there are public services out there to help us when shit hits the fan, and nobody questions those.

I feel extremely lucky to live in a state devoid of this bullshit that Vermont is trying to pull. In Colorado, a nominal surcharge (less than $2 or so) is tacked on to every fishing license, hunting license, OHV registration, snowmobile registration, etc..and is used to reimburse volunteer SAR groups and sherriff's departments for costs incurred associated with SAR activities. Victims are never charged for rescue (even helicopter evacuation) in the state of colorado due to this fantastic program developed within the colorado state government with the assistance and input from the people who are on the front line putting their lives in danger actually performing these rescues.

BTW, why should I have to pay for the fire department to respond to some MORON who fell asleep with the candle still burning?

Edited by jordan
  • Like 3