Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

25 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wolf Creek opening day video.  

This reminds me of the song when the truck driver lost his brakes on Wolf Creek pass. Earl pressed the brakes but it went to the floor and then they crashed into a chicken coop in downtown Pagosa Springs. 

Edited by saltyant

On 10/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wolf Creek opening day video.  

Here’s the full video.  They even BBQ’d in the lot.  When I lived in Montana opening day at Bridger bowl was similar conditions just light pow on everything and like a 30” unconsolidated base.  

Forst freeze tonight in Central NJ.

It will be interesting to see who opens first in PA this year now that Vail has taken their 5 hills off the table for a Nov opening including traditional front runner Big Boulder.

Where are folks thinking of getting their first turns in. Not counting my Sept couple hrs at Big Snow I might consider Mt Snow - if they pull off being open 11/14 as promised (2 weeks away!) with reasonable terrain. Or Hunter on 11/21 if no PA options by those weekends.

Figure it is a season to get in turns as fast as we can as who knows what further shut downs await.

11 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

It will be interesting to see who opens first in PA this year now that Vail has taken their 5 hills off the table for a Nov opening including traditional front runner Big Boulder.

Where are folks thinking of getting their first turns in. Not counting my Sept couple hrs at Big Snow I might consider Mt Snow - if they pull off being open 11/14 as promised (2 weeks away!) with reasonable terrain. Or Hunter on 11/21 if no PA options by those weekends.

Figure it is a season to get in turns as fast as we can as who knows what further shut downs await.

Itll probably still be bb on 12/4 unless it gets seriously cold and stays cold. Given the way the past few seasons have gone, a November opening seems to be a pipe dream in PA 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Blue will open Root Friday or earlier if the temperatures permit.  Long range forecast is mild but it’s super early.  Anything before Martin Luther king day is bonus. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Itll probably still be bb on 12/4 unless it gets seriously cold and stays cold. Given the way the past few seasons have gone, a November opening seems to be a pipe dream in PA 

Blue has opened in November like 3 of the last five years.  Just needs to be cold for 3-4 nights in mid November to happen. Definitely not a pipe dream. 

14 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

may be more of a challenge this year as social distancing might not be easy with main st/burma chairs, will they wait until they can open top to bottom? That's what K is doing...

This was my thought as well, the demand (although we all want to ski) might not be there for them to justify trying to force an early opening. 

29 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

may be more of a challenge this year as social distancing might not be easy with main st/burma chairs, will they wait until they can open top to bottom? That's what K is doing...

I guess we still dont really know what the maximum occupancy of the mountain is based off of, whether is some type of square footage math problem, or an equation based on what the lifts can handle.......but i would have to assume the percentage of just passholders is quite high on opening day, and the possibility of exceeding capacity with just main and burma is a pretty real scenario.  i sort of think the top to bottom thing might be a reality, but thats a whole bunch more ground to cover just to even open with the normal opening offerings.  I'm just hoping they can get to making snow around thankgiving.  

• Like 3

As Blue is saying they will offer pass holders pro rated refunds if Covid causes them to be open less than 100 days, that gives them incentive to be open every early season day they can - as there could clearly be another lock down this winter.

And it actually seem the Main street and Burma chairs are better suited to one party per chair than the larger lifts.

I'd do an early season day at Blue if they open in Nov for sure

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Wonder how the trail heads will be this season. Sounds terrible.

Yeah this season will be what it is. I'll be happy to get a few good days around here and hopefully out west for some. Can't say I'm too excited about skiing right now, but maybe thats because it was 75 and sunny all weekend.

• Sad 1