Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

19 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I paid $90. Southwest so free bags. 

I had such a nice run of free baggage between all the flights I did on Atomic Jeff’s itinerary and all my southwest flights.  That streak will end this winter.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

OK, I need some honest feedback here. Most of PASR has been relatively nearby when I get on a pair of skis, not saying I ever keep up, but some of you guys have witnessed, even if it's brief, my use of skis. If I was to go out to Utah I was planning on snowboarding, but @skiincy is Ikonic and suggested Deer Valley and Alta in addition to Snowbird. If I, a relatively new skier, was go go to Deer Valley and/or Alta would I be able to ski the majority of the mountain and have fun doing it? 

1 minute ago, Schif said:

OK, I need some honest feedback here. Most of PASR has been relatively nearby when I get on a pair of skis, not saying I ever keep up, but some of you guys have witnessed, even if it's brief, my use of skis. If I was to go out to Utah I was planning on snowboarding, but @skiincy is Ikonic and suggested Deer Valley and Alta in addition to Snowbird. If I, a relatively new skier, was go go to Deer Valley and/or Alta would I be able to ski the majority of the mountain and have fun doing it? 

You'll be totally fine at DV, can't speak on Alta but others will chime in.

• Like 1

Just now, Schif said:

You’d have way way more fun on a snowboard in the Rockies vs skis just based on seeing you on both.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Schif said:

You would be fine at DV and would have a blast skiing there. The groomers are fantastic. Take a moment to ride the funicular up to St. Regis and get yourself a drink by a fire pit. 

Avoid Alta.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Schif said:

I'm only looking at Southwest because I have a bunch of credit with them that expires in April and I don't see myself doing multiple trips in the coming months so I want to use it up now. 

My advice is to book something right away for the city pair you are interested in. Worst case you change your mind, cancel, and get the funds back with the same expiration date.

But they have been rearranging flights like crazy, and when they do (it might have to be by more than a certain amount of time) you can rebook for different flights, even different days, for no additional $ as long as you don’t change the city pair. 

i booked those Denver flights for me and pops and like 5 days later got an email that they had changed he flight times by like 2 hours and invited me to rebook. The change was actually to a better time for us, but I was still able to go in and get the morning non-stop instead of the afternoon which was originally significantly more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Schif said:

Treat yo self at Deer Valley.  The St Regis has a nice ambiance. 

IMG_0984.jpeg

• Like 2

All the flyertalk has me itchy to fly...Hanging out in a Florida airport for a couple hours on the way to the Rocky Mountains sounds rad.  Longest  travel back from Jackson hole took about 54 hours door to door...Jackson to Denver then an overnight in Denver followed by Denver to Arlington VA Reagan airport overnight in Arlington..6 hours of delay for a 45 minute flight to Newark..I think I got economy plus though so at least I wasn’t in Kansas Bahahaha just over it at some point  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Pretty funny I also have about $350 in Southwest credits.  The nice think about living here in Allentown is that I can fly out of philly, Newark or Lehigh valley.  Newark is often cheaper than Philly but I don’t think Philly people want to drive to Newark to save $100. One suggestion Schifdawg is to switch around dates..I find Tuesday flights to be the least expensive followed by Wednesday and Thursday. 

Yeah, I'll fly out of Newark if the time + money equation comes out ahead of philly based on better flight itinerary, but if it's the same basic itinerary to save $100 on the flight alone, probably not. 

21 hours ago, Schif said:

DV is intermediate groomer heaven. You'll have a blast there. As others have said though, Alta is a lot more challenging of a mountain. I haven't skied there much, but I don't remember much in the way of groomers compared to DV, PC, or Canyons.

5 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Alta still doesn't allow Snowboards - right?

Not on the lifts, but as far as I understand it, you can hike or cut over from snowboard and ride down Alta on a board.

• Like 1

Anyone can ride the lcc, its national park land and the resorts only rent the land under the lifts. Though there are some small parcels that are owned prior to the park but my recollection is they were trying to buy them up. Dick Bass loves to transfer shit at snowbird for better land elsewhere. 

Alta has a couple groomers but nothing like DV. Alta is mostly traverses that access steeper bowls or lines. A noob can ride Alta and have fun but your going to run the same 10 or so groomers all day long.  

Alta is 100000000x more impressive and beautiful than DV. DV looks like VT and Alta looks like real mtn skiing. 

The bird is even easier to get to rowdy goods and you can board there. I'd say if your going all the way to UT pick your hills on where you want to go not cost. DV is fantastic groomers but like 8 on the list of places to ride in UT

• Like 3

to add to what jlaw said... isn't snowbasin ikonic? you should definitely get up there too, since it sounds like you'll have a car. basin is kinda like a mini snowbird to me. I guess you won't really get the full benefit of the super nice facilities like gold plated toilets and whatnot, but you can ski 90% of the mountain off of the two gondolas, there's a lot of fun groomers, and some stuff that would be a good intro to skiing off trail for you.

20 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Alta has a couple groomers but nothing like DV. Alta is mostly traverses that access steeper bowls or lines. A noob can ride Alta and have fun but your going to run the same 10 or so groomers all day long.   

The bird is even easier to get to rowdy goods and you can board there. I'd say if your going all the way to UT pick your hills on where you want to go not cost. DV is fantastic groomers but like 8 on the list of places to ride in UT

When i was out there with my knee all banged up, Alta was were i felt i was doing exactly that.....riding the same 10 groomed trails all day.  I felt like even the Bird had more in the way of groomed trails.  

But for the record, the same 10 trails at Alta all day beats PA anyday.  

4 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

When i was out there with my knee all banged up, Alta was were i felt i was doing exactly that.....riding the same 10 groomed trails all day.  I felt like even the Bird had more in the way of groomed trails.  

But for the record, the same 10 trails at Alta all day beats PA anyday.  

Makes me want to listen to Creed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3