Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

22 minutes ago, paolo said:

Does Blue typically groom everything when it snows? How about Elk?

When it's 100% open and it snows, they'll groom the "expert" stuff generally as soon as they close, and then move to the easier stuff in the thought that the expert stuff will have the deepest snow. 

Accuweather has Palmerton with 16".  Not for nothing, cause i dont think they are not that accurate, but they are normally pretty low on their totals.  Shits looking good.  This will absolutely fuck up the balance of our work year (5 more days) tremendously though.  

This December snow will be beneficial for Blue, so @Schifneeds to put his happy face on.  

Oh, and remember those long range forecasts?  did anyone of them mention a foot plus of snow in December?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Oh my!

yes.

i feel like it's way too aggessive tho...

NWS has 90% chance of at least 12" in palmerton. >55% chance 18"+. I may have mentioned it here before but it's my go-to for snow forecasting. up until last year it was usually spot on for wherever i was located. 

https://www.weather.gov/phi/winter (click the 'probable snow forecasts' tab. the bottom part has some good area specific data.

snowdata.jpg

Edited by Benm

12 minutes ago, Benm said:

yes.

i feel like it's way too aggessive tho...

NWS has 90% chance of at least 12" in palmerton. >55% chance 18"+. I may have mentioned it here before but it's my go-to for snow forecasting. up until last year it was usually spot on for wherever i was located. 

https://www.weather.gov/phi/winter (click the 'probable snow forecasts' tab. the bottom part has some good area specific data.

snowdata.jpg

They usually do over-predict snow totals. A lot of it depends how how cold the air gets. If we get 20-24" I won't be making it to the mountain on Thursday. At least I have my back yard.

40 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

They usually do over-predict snow totals. A lot of it depends how how cold the air gets. If we get 20-24" I won't be making it to the mountain on Thursday. At least I have my back yard.

I don’t know if the employees will make it to the mountain. Could be a state of emergency where all non essential travel is banned. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I don’t know if the employees will make it to the mountain. Could be a state of emergency where all non essential travel is banned. 

They always seem to make it. I just know that my road, and the road that leads to mine never get plowed early and are far from a priority for the township. Regardless, I'll be on skis somewhere! 

I'm excited to follow this storm now that it is more likely to be a ba-dinger-oo. Looking forward to snow total reports!

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

They always seem to make it. I just know that my road, and the road that leads to mine never get plowed early and are far from a priority for the township. Regardless, I'll be on skis somewhere! 

I'm excited to follow this storm now that it is more likely to be a ba-dinger-oo. Looking forward to snow total reports!

And lots of pics...

So I've reserved myself to the fact that I won't get to enjoy a powder adventure at blue, but it's hard to not get excited when I see the stoke market rising. Snow totals only go up! Buy low sell high. Ding Ding Ding. 

Now I need to scope out some local hills and hopefully find some spots that won't ruin any gear. Hope it's enough snow to stay above the ground on. 

Edited by Schif

38 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I have been given permission to leave work early tomorrow if it gets bad...don’t try driving to Blue TP4

i have to remember to be responsible Thursday morning (and remember Burma in 2 feet of snow might be very slow going lol)

There won’t be 2 feet of snow on it.  It will be groomed..

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

I have been given permission to leave work early tomorrow if it gets bad...don’t try driving to Blue TP4

i have to remember to be responsible Thursday morning (and remember Burma in 2 feet of snow might be very slow going lol)

Can't you take a 4wheel loaner? 

I saw from NWS the possibility of "Thunder Snow" early Thursday morning. Twice I've skied in a TS. 

First time riding on a high speed quad at Park City..... Snowing all morning and intensifying rapidly, suddenly the snow lights up all around us and a tremendous clap of thunder cracks. Suddenly the lift stops but the lightning flashes and thunder didnt... We debated whether, if lightning strikes the cable, and we're between the strike and ground, are we toast?

After about 2 minutes the lift began to move and we unloaded and hurried to the lodge on top to wait out the storm. 20 minutes later, a ski patroller entered the lodge, climbed on a table and announced "we're closing the mountain in 20 minutes and if you don't know the way down, meet out front and we'll lead you back"

We knew the way back, so we geared up and clicked into our skis. As we started down, the person leading disappeared within the first 30 feet.... A very scary decent until quite a bit lower and visibility improved....Something we'll never forget and recall often.

The Second time happened on our first ride to the top on the gondola at Snowbird.... But that story is for another time...

Anyone else have a TS experience??

• Like 5