Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

21 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

im a huge fan of heat pumps.  Basically all the Older homes up by me in the Poconos are electric baseboard.  So of course people are always on FB asking how to combat $300-400 a month electric bills, even though they are part time.  I have been saying heat pump for years, and i get the "its too cold for heat pumps in this area", from the experts on FB.  

I have to be going on 10 years since i put the one in, and then i moved that one to a bedroom, and bought a huge one to replace that one that was in the living room, which is also the kitchen and dining room.  I just got my bill yesterday, last month was $85.  Granted, there was just one real cold snap, but i was also there for 8 days around Christmas, and i think my shed is better insulated than my house......its so bad.   I put both of them on 50 when i leave, and they probably do 75% of the heating when im not there.  

I would put one in my primary home, but that one is gas, and its probably pretty break even between gas and elcetric most times.  

As much as i like mini-splits, i dont like the octopus climbing up your wall going to multiple head units.  i did a pretty good job of disguising mine.  

Does yours auto switch between oil and heat pump?  what degree?

Mine doesn't switch. When I'm at TLCITW for a few days, and the forecast is below 30*, I'll turn off the HP system,  and set the oil burner at 58*.

When I return to a "cold" home I turn up the hot air oil burner until I'm at 68* then turn the HP on and oil burner off.  I can usually get the home back up to temp in a half hour or so.

I'm really surprised with the efficiency of the heat pump system both for heat in winter and air conditioning in summer. My summer electrical usage was 25% less with the new system than the old...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C1erArt said:

A lot of people use underground piping for heat pump heat sinks. 

Are you talking about Geothermal or  something else ? I watched a Youtube video where someone built a box around there outdoor Minisplit section and buried corrugated pipe and used fans to circulate air underground. Interesting concept but I'm not sure if the piping would fill up with condensation.

2011 I went Geo after getting a 4K oil bill when oil price spiked. I kept my boiler for backup and domestic hot water. 

11 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

Are you talking about Geothermal or  something else ? I watched a Youtube video where someone built a box around there outdoor Minisplit section and buried corrugated pipe and used fans to circulate air underground. Interesting concept but I'm not sure if the piping would fill up with condensation.

2011 I went Geo after getting a 4K oil bill when oil price spiked. I kept my boiler for backup and domestic hot water. 

Yes, geothermal. 

7 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Winter might show up next week. Or it might not. 
the buoy is bouncing around for like next fri-sat. Not sure how reliable it is now that they flushed the dirty diapers out of it though. 

I saw the same thing. Not sure about the buoy. It usually has some trouble with accuracy until the first storm really hits, but maybe this will be the one that kicks it into gear. 

12 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I saw the same thing. Not sure about the buoy. It usually has some trouble with accuracy until the first storm really hits, but maybe this will be the one that kicks it into gear. 

i dont know what to think either.  one part of me says its been so quite lately that its jigglin for a reason, the other part says its just looking for some attention.  

Supposed to get 8-12" at Hunter through tomorrow AM. In a $65 room at Snowed Inn 5 miles from Mt to get the freshies. Got 6 runs in at the end of day today before checking in. No lines at end of a Sunday - skipped the crowded part of the day as I was as coming up largely for tomorrow.

Nice to see Montage likely to get 4-6" of base building precip as I plan to go there next weekend with my girls.

It's finally winter within a short drive.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 3
  • Boner City 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That's quite a bargain!! Did you find a good coupon or split the cost with Joy??

No coupon and just me - that is their Sunday Nt rate for a room with a queen bed. Half a mile walk to center of Tannersville - so I will leave car parked while I find a place to get food and drink while rooting against the Cowboys.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

No coupon and just me - that is their Sunday Nt rate for a room with a queen bed. Half a mile walk to center of Tannersville - so I will leave car parked while I find a place to get food and drink while rooting against the Cowboys.

That's a great deal. You're saving a lot. I hope the Cow Boys lose too so I don't have to hear about sportsball until next autumn.

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where Ski2Live is staying has shared bathrooms.  5 hotel rooms and 3 bathrooms. Wow just wow. 

Wow just wow, screw that. I don't do hotels with shared public bathrooms. 

They do have free cookies for nourishment so it's probably worth it. I wonder how many Ski2Live can fit in his ski jacket to eat at Hunter???747852002_Screenshot_20230122-1744222.thumb.png.ab343aa841815f89ef788f89d69ae25b.png

Edited by saltyant