2020-21 Blue Opening Day Stoke Thread!!!

saltyant

5 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Picked up skis from the shop yesterday. I'm ready for Friday

Thanks for reminding me to ask this question... Should one take new skis to get waxed (i believe yes) or tuned (unsure) or anything? And does anyone know what blues turnaround time is? Not sure if they're slammed. Thanks. 

Edited by Benm

Thanks for reminding me to ask this question... Should one take new skis to get waxed (i believe yes) or tuned (unsure) or anything? And does anyone know what blues turnaround time is? Not sure if they're slammed. Thanks. 

Waxed for sure. Tuned depends on how good of a job the factory did. Smaller brands who hand build things tend to do a pretty good job with tunes from the factory, with edge bevels and detunes dialed in for the specific ski’s rocker profile. Larger companies, unless you’re going for race stock stuff, will usually just go 1/1 and call it done. You’re probably fine without a full tune but you may want a gummy stone to soften the edges near the tip and tail if you find your skis to be extra hooky after the first few runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks. i did read earlier about detuning the edges and already planned on it.  

Assuming passably decent snow conditions, ski em a few runs first. Detune a small amount at a time. Easier to do more than undo something that’s now too dull. I generally find that a rockered ski works better for me when the edges are detuned slightly back past the rocker inflection point, but I also ski like a park rat, slash everything, and am always looking for transitions.

• Thanks 1

And does anyone know what blues turnaround time is? Not sure if they're slammed. Thanks. 

Drop them off at blues shop after your morning session and tell them you will pick up at opening bell. I use blue’s shop all the time and they are fast and fine for my needs.

Only caveat is for the day of pick-up and while all the pasr’ers are getting runs 1-3 in (or runs 1-12 if only vista open [emoji14]) you will be doing shop stuff

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tarponhead said:

Drop them off at blues shop after your morning session and tell them you will pick up at opening bell. I use blue’s shop all the time and they are fast and fine for my needs.

Only caveat is for the day of pick-up and while all the pasr’ers are getting runs 1-3 in (or runs 1-12 if only vista open emoji14.png) you will be doing shop stuff

This is what I plan on doing.  Blue’s shop has yet to let me down and I’m getting increasingly lazy about doing my own waxing and tuning.  Drop one pair off before having beers.  Then ski the other pair next time and pick the first ones up before beers next time.  

5 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Assuming passably decent snow conditions, ski em a few runs first. Detune a small amount at a time. Easier to do more than undo something that’s now too dull. I generally find that a rockered ski works better for me when the edges are detuned slightly back past the rocker inflection point, but I also ski like a park rat, slash everything, and am always looking for transitions.

What’s detuning?!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tarponhead said:

Only caveat is for the day of pick-up and while all the pasr’ers are getting runs 1-3 in (or runs 1-12 if only vista open emoji14.png) you will be doing shop stuff

Reminds me, I still have your skis in my basement from last year's tuning.

• Like 1

blue mtn has season passes for students under 22 for $169 via buckmans.

limitation on hours

"We've partnered with Buckman's Ski & Snowboard Shops to offer an AWESOME deal to students 22 years of age and younger! Visit any Buckman's retail location to purchase a $169 Student Season Pass to Blue Mountain Resort. Student passes are valid anytime Monday - Friday and Saturday and Sunday after 3pm. "

Edited by Benm

blue mtn has season passes for students under 22 for $169 via buckmans.
limitation on hours
"We've partnered with Buckman's Ski & Snowboard Shops to offer an AWESOME deal to students 22 years of age and younger! Visit any Buckman's retail location to purchase a $169 Student Season Pass to Blue Mountain Resort. Student passes are valid anytime Monday - Friday and Saturday and Sunday after 3pm. "

Shit! I just purchased my daughter a $100 gift card (stocking stuffer) that she could use on lift tickets. Would've gotten this instead.

You can still do it. Use the gift card to take your family to dinner there one day or pick up take out.

Good point. She's stoked to ski...fall semester ended, now she needs something to do for the next 5 weeks (that don't include PS4). Once spring starts though she'll probably shift focus back to school (which why we didn't go full on pass for her). Gotta think on this one. She also has an ORDA card.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Shit! I just purchased my daughter a $100 gift card (stocking stuffer) that she could use on lift tickets. Would've gotten this instead.

I agree with Toaster.  use the gift card yourself, or even sell it for $75 here, That season pass for herself is a no brainer.  3 days or something and its paid for.  Go for it. You are doing good things for the economy of Blue, which is important this year.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Good point. She's stoked to ski...fall semester ended, now she needs something to do for the next 5 weeks (that don't include PS4). Once spring starts though she'll probably shift focus back to school (which why we didn't go full on pass for her). Gotta think on this one. She also has an ORDA card.

She will get a lot more skiing out of $170 season pass than she will a $100 gift card...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1