2/26-2/27 weekend roll call thread.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@Johnny Law hows Snowshoe?

Interesting, the basin side is like 800/900 vert but only one or two moderately steep spots of like 300ft. It's filled to the gills with noobs, like salty would be a golden God. The village is impressive considering its location, driving here is classic WV, nothing but trees and rocks. It looks more like great wolf lodge than a ski lodge but the restaurants are good and everyone is like in the south nice. 

There is an expert pod that is actually across the street from basin called western territory that is like skiing another mountain. You start at the top, there is a road across the entire Ridge with basin on one side and this 3 trail expert pod is on the other. You ride a lift up ski 50ft across the top take you skis off cross the street and then put them back on and ski down the hill.  Two trails there have some nice steep maybe like 200ft more vert than blue but not as sustained pitch. 

It's kind of a weird place and at first the noob thing is annoying they stop the lifts alot and some of the cross overs are absolutely littered with people down. The upside is they are super friendly and all super stoked about everything. 

If I was in the area for something I would come back it's a slightly bigger blue but it has some charm in its weirdness. Lots of custom stuff on the hill like these pro models.

20220226_162310.jpg

20220226_135513.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Interesting, the basin side is like 800/900 vert but only one or two moderately steep spots of like 300ft. It's filled to the gills with noobs, like salty would be a golden God. The village is impressive considering its location, driving here is classic WV, nothing but trees and rocks. It looks more like great wolf lodge than a ski lodge but the restaurants are good and everyone is like in the south nice. 

There is an expert pod that is actually across the street from basin called western territory that is like skiing another mountain. You start at the top, there is a road across the entire Ridge with basin on one side and this 3 trail expert pod is on the other. You ride a lift up ski 50ft across the top take you skis off cross the street and then put them back on and ski down the hill.  Two trails there have some nice steep maybe like 200ft more vert than blue but not as sustained pitch. 

It's kind of a weird place and at first the noob thing is annoying they stop the lifts alot and some of the cross overs are absolutely littered with people down. The upside is they are super friendly and all super stoked about everything. 

If I was in the area for something I would come back it's a slightly bigger blue but it has some charm in its weirdness. Lots of custom stuff on the hill like these pro models.

20220226_162310.jpg

20220226_135513.jpg

I would think you gotta  pro to ski those....

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

In the first run I knew I had to turn off my usual wtf meter. I was a guest in a foreign land, they were kind and although their customs seemed strange to me they couldn't be less threatening, the delta was so high at half speed it was nothing but orange cones everywhere. 

Most are well aware of my love of weird old equipment and it's like no place I've seen. The individual foot snowboards, lots of blades, 220 straight skis but the kicker was this dude. I spotted the zero tail fast, assumed logically he had broken them somehow. Yet his suit was HH and was skiing on a icon pass with his dad who had one of the big super soft soli pow skis for gapers. This was no accident, for some reason this was done on purpose. Was he a raxer from the Alps who got lost ?

I maneuvered my way to be the single next to them so I would have time to conduct a thorough investigation. I buttered him up with bs about the day and then went for the kill. This madman bought the skis, picked out bindings and had them mounted then promptly took them home and cut as much tail as humanly possible off with a band saw. He was of the opinion that the tail of the ski was a detriment to skiing and had been doing so since learning as a child.  He had been all over with his family, somehow taming big sky/ut/VT on 90cm length skis all up front. I only saw him ski 300ft at like negative pitch but he left a ww1 style trench giving a new definition to tail gunning.  

It was one of the most and least impressive thing I've seen in snowsports. It's like someone cutting both their legs off to become a better marathon runner. 

That was a cool story. Thanks 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

In the first run I knew I had to turn off my usual wtf meter. I was a guest in a foreign land, they were kind and although their customs seemed strange to me they couldn't be less threatening, the delta was so high at half speed it was nothing but orange cones everywhere. 

Most are well aware of my love of weird old equipment and it's like no place I've seen. The individual foot snowboards, lots of blades, 220 straight skis but the kicker was this dude. I spotted the zero tail fast, assumed logically he had broken them somehow. Yet his suit was HH and was skiing on a icon pass with his dad who had one of the big super soft soli pow skis for gapers. This was no accident, for some reason this was done on purpose. Was he a raxer from the Alps who got lost ?

I maneuvered my way to be the single next to them so I would have time to conduct a thorough investigation. I buttered him up with bs about the day and then went for the kill. This madman bought the skis, picked out bindings and had them mounted then promptly took them home and cut as much tail as humanly possible off with a band saw. He was of the opinion that the tail of the ski was a detriment to skiing and had been doing so since learning as a child.  He had been all over with his family, somehow taming big sky/ut/VT on 90cm length skis all up front. I only saw him ski 300ft at like negative pitch but he left a ww1 style trench giving a new definition to tail gunning.  

It was one of the most and least impressive thing I've seen in snowsports. It's like someone cutting both their legs off to become a better marathon runner. 

I haven’t seen a PASR magazine cover in a while but this is a top story 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Would love to see Hotodog Hans or Donny Pelletier on those things!

• Like 1