The 2022-23 ski season thread.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do you have to land the toy plane at an airport or can you land it in the lower lot at Blue?  I’ll have root and Skifreak direct traffic for your landing and atomic Jeff will let you ski on his Kastles

I can only land at an airport. One day I'll fly over the lower lot while you guys are standing around since I want to fly over all the ski resorts in Northeast PA in one flight. That would be rad.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I can only land at an airport. One day I'll fly over the lower lot while you guys are standing around since I want to fly over all the ski resorts in Northeast PA in one flight. That would be rad.

I’ll have to download the flight tracker software onto my jitterbug at 14.4 Kbps. Right now I’m downloading a picture of Pamela Anderson and in a minute and a half I’ll see a nipple. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do any people still get paper copies of ski and skiing magazine?  By now I’d be waiting for the October travel issue which hit news stands and the mailbox  by mid September.  The August ski equipment guide was kind of meh but a thick copy due to all the ads and powder magazine sometimes had a free poster.  Snow country magazine was a good one but more family oriented it definitely has ads for the brand new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition and the first generation Subaru Legacy Outback. You can find me in the 90s eating fun dip and watching the fresh prince of bel air..but back to 2022-23

Definitely Jackson hole and I want to go back to Stowe on a weekday trip. One of my friends was just in Burlington and Stowe and I recommended Trattoria Delia.  You can ask @Johnny Lawabout that place he’ll give it to you straight,”Trattoria Delia in Burlington what OMG with Matt edge interrupting..take your girl there and she’ll definitely do something that rhymes with Blue knob”….anyway it’s a great Italian restaurant that’s been there since I was a freshman in college..so stay and ski Stowe and I guess after last day skiing Stowe drive into Burlington get a room in the Hilton on the lake where @PSUFlyguy stayed eat and drink my way around staying between heavy buzz and getting cited by a cop on a mountain bike for public intoxication…

its almost ski season woo woo woo who let the dogs out Root Root Root who let the dogs out @skiincydont worry @Mixilplixwill watch PASR mascot Wally get it that vert lol

I think I need more coffee to read this.

I accidentally left Wally outside the other day, so I think he’s ready to be a latch key doggo.

never been to Stowe. I might try to hit that one up this winter.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, enjoralas said:

No, fly by then. Considering buying the ATL flight anyway. It’s Southwest so if I decide it’s not worth the effort I can cancel and get credit to fly to DEN in the winter anyway

I thought about doing the same thing. Quick trip to ATL but never pulled the trigger on it. 

I work in marketing but when I see promos like this - I hate marketing. 🤦🏼‍♀️

53 minutes ago, skiincy said:

I thought about doing the same thing. Quick trip to ATL but never pulled the trigger on it. 

I work in marketing but when I see promos like this - I hate marketing. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Yeah, if there was verbiage in there that said you could convert tickets to companion for a refund or even a non-expiring credit after earning the pass, I would have done it because I would have guaranteed saving at least what it cost, minus the time value of course. But that would not be in their best financial interest, so I get why they would never allow that. 

It could be an interesting play on their part to allow that option at some point in the future, but make the companion pass more difficult/expensive to achieve. There would be some portion of people who signed up for the deal who would then fail to qualify, and Southwest would get to keep all the revenue from the tickets already booked that were planned to be companion fares by the customer. It wouldn't be unfair on SW part per se, because the customer would still get to use all the airfare they bought, they just wouldn't get half of it for "free."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'm starting it now. PASR Day at Plattekill this skison. Let's make it happen.

https://nyskiblog.com/winter-storm-riley-at-plattekill/

I was there on Saturday, storm totals were close to 45” My best day on skis ever!

An awesome place when the woods are in play! 

F09D40B6-1851-417E-900D-992BE9C2A27F.jpeg

Edited by AirheadD8
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Have you noticed auto financing interest rates going up?  What about sticker price?  How is that affecting consumer confidence amoung your customers?

Rates are obscene right now, highest Ive ever seen.  Sales wise, this past month has been the slowest I can remember in my 8.5 years of doing this.  Used prices are still ridiculous and there are no new units to sell, so morale is very low for both customers and workers 

57 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Rates are obscene right now, highest Ive ever seen.  Sales wise, this past month has been the slowest I can remember in my 8.5 years of doing this.  Used prices are still ridiculous and there are no new units to sell, so morale is very low for both customers and workers 

The lady that cuts my hair got suckered into returning her leased car earlier and leasing another car and the car she wants to lease they don’t even have. 

2 hours ago, antman12 said:

Epic now offering $0 down 0 APR financing on their passes. Pretty sure this is new.

Pass sales struggling this year?? Hmmmmm…

But the pass price went up like the beginning of sept, so to me its just a way to get people to buy the pass at a higher price, but make the customer feel like they are getting a bargain at 0%. 
“Might as well get the undercoating and upgrade those rims to 20’s since its 0%”

also this is after they announced they are limiting day pass sales. 

• Like 2

On the way to ABasin there’s one stretch with no guardrail and a massive drip to the right although not as precipitous as the Ouray one and I don’t care if people are backed up behind me, I take it real easy and pretty much hug the center line and my last trip there the road was snow covered 3/4 of the time.  

15 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I never understood the lack of guardrails out west…the cottonwood canyon drives have no guardrails despite being curvy and at times icy.  @toast21602 can attest to driving them in treacherous conditions 

One of the scariest car rides of my life... but worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

I never understood the lack of guardrails out west…the cottonwood canyon drives have no guardrails despite being curvy and at times icy.  @toast21602 can attest to driving them in treacherous conditions 

Because they’re expensive and many of these roads are to narrow for guardrails. On my geology trip to Colorado in 2000, my professor was more focused on the rock formations than driving and there were a few sketchy moments.  From taking two geology classes, all I remember is that some rocks are harder than others and some are older.