Skison 20/21?

mbike-ski

2 hours ago, skiincy said:

Have you all heard of cloud seeding? I never heard of it until last night. I read an article and started digging into it. 

If any other snow nerds want to dig into this, this is what I've been reading:

https://coloradosun.com/2020/11/27/vail-finances-colorado-cloud-seeding/

https://water.utah.gov/cloudseeding/

I'm pretty sure cloud seeding has been around for some time...

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mixilplix said:

I'm pretty sure cloud seeding has been around for some time...

Vail was one of the big firsts to try it and in Eurp they went pretty hard at it as they need some of the snow cover to keep glaciers in tact. 

The problem is it doesn't work, one you can't make it snow if its not already going to snow, at best you can make smaller storms bigger. Two storms and snow can go any which way, blue is small but we've all seen it snow a foot on MacArthur road and have 3 inches at blue now imagine something like that but with say the alps. Three its expensive and with little off the shelf technology whereas conventional snow making is the opposite. 

The magic would be conventional snow making but way higher up in the air with smaller water particles and nucleotides then you could get that up and down movement and make snowflakes rather than rods which skis infinitely better. I've always wondered how high you'd have to go,  part of me says 500ft would probably make a difference but part says not.

Pipe dreams anyways as it would be way too expensive for something that most people don't care at all about. 

• Like 5

Had a GREAT time at Bear Creek this morning. I got 20 runs in with temps in the upper 30s under mostly sunny sky’s. They blew snow the night before so many trials had a couple inches of manmade perder for the first few runs, to go a long with very nice snow everywhere else.  Also, a nice selection of rails down cascade and black bear. Ole Sassy was ROTD and still one of my favorite runs when it’s open. 

This was my first time back to BC in many, many years and it brought back a lot of fond memories. I grew up riding BC in my teens, having a season pass there for many years.  I recently moved 15 minutes from BC and will be getting a season pass there next year for casual weeknights. Can’t beat a $400 season pass 15 minutes from the mountain. I should’ve taken some pics but I didn’t, just a snap. 

247205D3-5C18-41FB-9605-482BB0D5CF88.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

I live three miles from BC....I rode there the day they opened it to snowboarders ...One of the original  instructors...Long time pass holder...Lotta good times there....Thanks for the pic...

Doe mountain? Haha  I first rode there in 2002? I believe  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

ah! Wolf Creek is one of my favorite places. The times I've been there - they severely under reported and was surprised with christmas day powder a few years back. ❤️ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ve been watching closely as I’ll be skiing 3 or 4 days there first week of March.  I haven’t skied there since ‘99 but I remember that they always have the best snow.

• Like 1

I know you are all still caught up in skiing and stuff, but we are only a few weeks away from "analyze the best pass options for next skison and consider picking one that will broaden your options for the rest of next year" season.

I know you are all waiting with baited breath. Not really considering single mountain passes any more, but Ikon, Epic, ORDA, Indy are all contenders and who knows what new options could emerge.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Boner City 1

1 hour ago, Schif said:

I'll just be watching for any shake ups in terms of mountains going from Epic to Ikon or vice versa and then I'll grab one of those two plus my trusty rusty blue mountain pass of course. 

At this point I’m leaning towards an Epic pass just because of how many east coast, drivable mountains that are on it. But we’ll see when things come out I guess. 

Edited by toast21602

32 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s way too early to start thinking about next season. 

We are one week away from the day Blue announced their pass prices and on sale date (we are 15 days away from that) last year.

And of course buying a different pass for next skison often opens up new ski options for the remainder of this one.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

At this point I’m leaning towards an Epic pass just because of how many easy coast, drivable mountains that are on it. But we’ll see when things come out I guess. 

I will say I've enjoyed my 3 days of Epic pass use so far.  But, when I travel, I'd much rather ski the IKON mountains.  I may end up with both again next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

We are one week away from the day Blue announced their pass prices and on sale date (we are 15 days away from that) last year.

And of course buying a different pass for next skison often opens up new ski options for the remainder of this one.

I would be surprised if Blue posts something about passes already. They seem to be doing quite well and probably don't want to pass up on getting $109 pp so quickly this season.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I hadn't considered this regarding an Epic pass. Say I buy one (assuming it's released prior) for my March 1 trip to Utah. I wonder if I can use it this season and next? I might get some Epic savings